Sunday, 26 July 2026

Follow The Right Role Models

It took me a while to get this morning's sermon prepared, but in the end it all came together. The apostle John is comparing two people in a church group - Gaius [all round good and generous guy] and Diotrephes [a domineering, dodgy deacon]  I think John is saying something like this - "Look at Gaius, a loyal friend, walking faithfully, being welcoming and accepting, even to strangers, giving thoughtfully and generously.  He truly imitates Christ in his behaviour. Now look at Diotrephes – he has somehow obtained a position of influence. He is ego-centric, domineering, power hungry, dismissive of anyone who gets in his way, slandering them, throwing them out."*  And John's whole letter basically hangs on this verse - good advice and the main point of what I shall be saying














[* He probably lived in a white house too]

11 comments:

  1. I think you got to the the heart of the passage, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How different would the world be if we all followed this advice. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good piece of advice. Your white house comment made me laugh in a wry way. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that we get to hear about real people in scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love your * comment.
    May good prevail over evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😉 I'm not sure everyone in my congregation this morning understood the reference

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!