The side garden round the raised bed is a bit of a desert. The grass is brown and crispy, there are a few determined dandelions showing their sunny faces. The apples and pears are ripening on the trees. The raised beds are looking decidedly sad. I'm watering and harvesting the odd lettuce here and there, and a few beans - but general there is not much happening. Until Saturday...
This huge thistle sprung up from nowhere, in the shade of the pear tree, with spiky green foliage, and its purply pink petals pointing heavenwards.
A pop of glorious colour in the arid surroundings. I am leaving it there, in honour of Josh Kerr and his Miracle Mile. I'm not really into sport, and I am not Scottish, but this was such a lovely story. I am so glad he won the gold, on his home turf, and that they played Flowers of Scotland for the win, not God Save The King!!

What a brave young man Josh Kert is and a worthy gold medal winner! Your thistle is picture perfect and has survived the drought well. I’d much prefer that Flower of Scotland wasn’t played as our national anthem, as it’s anti-english which is not something I feel comfortable about. There are many other rousing songs which could be played. We have rain this morning for which we are very grateful. Catriona
ReplyDeleteIt's a difficult one - the full version of God Save the King is very anti-Scottish! Perhaps Scotland the Brave would have been a better choice?
DeleteWe’ve had some colourful thistles pop up too - a flower in the desert.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
A lovely description
ReplyDelete