Monday, 31 August 2026

Incy Wincy , Please Keep Out!

For nearly six months, Bob's Spider Rehoming System has been working very well. I am happy to use it to take offending arachnids to the end of the front path and release them onto the pavement. Except when it is dark, and I'm in my pjs and I spot a spider in the bath.
At such moments I drop the plastic pot over the creature, and it gets dealt with in the morning. This has happened a lot recently, as we approach September Spider Month.

Our bath has an overflow outlet the exact same size as the plughole. When we empty the bath [usually because the grandchildren have been in it] we 'park the plug'. But this means the spiders come up the regular plughole.
And if the plug goes back in the hole, then they squeeze their 8 legs through the overflow hole.
I was in the Futility Room when I had a brainwave! Back in Kirby in 1996, we had a kitchen sink with 2½ bowls, and only 1 plug. So I bought a red 'universal' silicon 'travel plug' to use when needed. And I have kept that in my 'laundry stuff' box for years.
Perfect solution.
There is no way Incy can climb up into the bath now. I still have the red bowls I bought for that kitchen. They are used every Friday for the orchid watering session. The flowers all gone now, the Sir David models are guarding the foliage.






22 comments:

  1. But do spiders actually enter the bath from the plug hole or do they fall into the bath from outside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot work out any other way in for themπŸ•·️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to wash a scary spider down the plug hole once, but after I had filled the bath and climbed in, it climbed through the overflow and joined me in the bath!
    I caused a tidal wave and flooded the floor as I made a rapid and slippery exit. I may have even screamed! So now I always do the spider removal thing with plastic tub and card. The difference being i throw the whole lot out of the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ•·️πŸ˜‚πŸ•·️πŸ˜‚πŸ•·️πŸ˜‚πŸ•·️ πŸ’¦ πŸ’¦ πŸ’¦

      Delete
  4. What a brilliant plug that is. We have the spiders too especially since we have had some rain-eugh! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cooler weather brings them inside I think

      Delete
  5. I have a loathing of spiders and dread September. We have a wet room with a shower downstairs with a rectangular post box size drain cover so far no spiders as a really thin exit/entry for drainage, will they manage to squeeze through? We have a bathroom upstairs and they do get in there some times. I must keep the plug in the hole all the time. The Iargest get in the kitchen sink, shudder. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob read Philip's comment above, and looked into it further. It seems they do not crawl up the pipe and through the plughole as I have always thought - most come in by another route, then fall into the bath and cannot climb out.πŸ•·️

      Delete
  6. Our resident spiders are busy decorating the house for Halloween. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸŽƒπŸ•·️πŸŽƒπŸ•·️πŸŽƒ

      Delete
  7. Good ideas for dealing with spiders…..I don’t think there are many conkers for piling in corners as a deterrent this year πŸ˜‰
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have conkers, but they don't seem to be working

      Delete
  8. It's the running that makes me feel worried, you never quite know where they are going to be next, they are so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. September is always scary for Spiders! I always have to do the spider removal. C won't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ•·️πŸ˜‚πŸ•·️πŸ˜‚πŸ•·️

      Delete
  10. I don't mind spiders, but usually evict them to outside, otherwise Sheva eats them! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This area, Pacific NW has the largest house spiders and I catch all I can ( jar and cardboard) and throw them outside. I hate it when one gets away behind heavy furniture... I am going to block all plughole as I am pretty sure that is how most get in. They cannot climb up out of the bath so they stay there. Usually they starve to death as we have window screens so it's rare to see a fly indoors. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How come we never see spiders in all those TV shows set in the NW??!!

      Delete
  12. Oh you spoilsport. Don't you know those big spiders love to hang out and terrify people? They will be very sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can go elsewhere and be terrifying!!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!