Wednesday, 5 August 2026

Parliamentary Matters

Did you know that the collective noun for a group of owls is a parliament?  And furthermore, did you know that every year, 4th August is celebrated as International Owl Awareness Day?  I knew the first, but only learned the second fact this week 

And I discovered it yesterday in Holt. This lovely Georgian Market Town, boasts an "Owl Trail". You can walk round the town and find 24 plaques at interesting sites. The name comes from the ancient legend that some local men found an owl. They put it in the town Pound for safe keeping, whereupon it promptly flew away! 

There aren't too many owls in the town centre nowadays, but you may spot them in nearby Holt Country Park. We went up to Holt to meet my dear blogfriend Kezzie and her husband. We had a lovely lunch together in the Owl Tea Rooms
It was such fun to chat together in person. The husbands got on well too. I'm always anxious before I meet up with a blogfriend that our "other halves" might be bored. I am so grateful that this hasn't ever happened. 

Kezzie has been a good friend for a long time -  when I was running 'Grandma's Nursery for Rosie in lockdown, she sent me some great ideas for music lessons. When cousin Gill died, she came over to Romford and took me out for a much needed coffee break. And I love being involved in helping construct her Whovian Cosplay outfits.Thank you K&C for a super time together, and a great lunch. It was kind of you both to take time out from your family holiday to connect. 
The cheerful waiter took a photo for us 
Then we all put on our hats, ready to leave, and decided we needed a 'hat-pic' too!

20 comments:

  1. How lovely to see a photo of Kezzie (and you, of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in the centre of Cheltenham with a small garden but are surrounded by bigger , wooded gardens. We often hear owls in the dead of night (if awake) and feel so privileged. By the way, thank you for the tip about the two guitarists, we managed to get tickets, sublime!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I am so pleased you got to hear the KatonaTwins

      Delete
  3. I love the story of the owl that flew out of the Pound!

    Connections made online are just as wonderfully real and supportive as any. It's always good to spend time with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to meet up with blog friends whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats so nice x
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was out walking in the woods one day and a very large barred owl was right overhead and flew away. Unfortunately, I couldn't snap a clear photo because of all of the foliage. I love owls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to meet with blog friends, they become 'real' people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do, very special friends 🩡

      Delete
  8. Such happy photos, I found myself smiling as I looked at you all. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely photos of you, Kezzie and your other halves. Sorry for the late reply but blogger wouldn’t let me in earlier. I had to fill in a code and now I’m here-hurray!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!