I remember many years ago reading an article in a magazine about packing to go on holiday. It said this:
Put EVERY thing you think you need on the bed
[clothes, toiletries, personal stuff etc]
Now put HALF of it away again.
You only need 50% of what you first thought.
Another 'tip' I came across was this :
If you are holidaying in the UK, wear trousers for travel, pack underwear for the remaining days and use a small case. Then pop into a charity shop and buy a dress and a couple of tops. Swap these around through your stay. On the last day, put all but your underwear and travel outfit into a bag, and give it back to the CS
In the past few years, we've rarely had holidays 'away' - we just came to Cornerstones. Since retirement, our trips have been in the UK by car [plenty of luggage room] and our one Paris trip [by train] was brief and we had minimal packing [as we did in the days of motorbike holidays - three pairs of knickers and a tin of soap, and not much more] But this year, now Bob's back has been treated, and we are flying abroad. So what's essential in my luggage?
Passport and tickets [keep copies of all important info on my phone as well]
Prescription medications [so many pills...] which should be kept in the original boxes. Customs may refuse plastic bags with strips of meds which have been trimmed to just the 7 days worth, as they cannot be identified.
Technology - phones, tablets, headphones, charging leads, travel plugs.
Toiletries -toothbrush, hairbrush, suncream etc [I have treated myself to some little bottles for decanting shampoo etc]
Random useful bits pen, bite-zapper, tweezers, mini-sewing kit, lightweight fold-up tote
Clothes and shoes - a hat, underwear, swimwear, and a 'capsule' wardrobe
And not much else!
My Son In Law Gaz gave me a very useful tip - if you are staying in a hotel, [especially abroad, or in an unfamiliar city] grab one of the cards from the reception desk and tuck it in your bag or pocket. That way if you go out for the evening and want to get a cab back, you can easily show the driver the correct details.
What are the essentials in your suitcase?
What have I forgotten in my list?



Notebooks (yes, two! a small one for yout pocket, and a larger one for a travel diary), a few colouring pencils, book or kindle, paper copies of important documents, addresses, and your prescription.
ReplyDeleteI read a suggestion that if you put anything in the hotel room safe you should also put one of your shoes in it so that you remember to empty it when you leave.
An interesting comment about the safe! ðŸ‘
DeleteTwo years ago year when I unpacked my minimal suitcase for a week’s holiday in Brittany I discovered I had forgotten to bring any knickers! On the Sunday morning I managed to find a pair that looked about the right size in a supermarket (French supermarkets don’t always open on Sundays and if so only until 12.00) then on Monday went in search of a shop that might have more choice. That’s when I discovered that French lingerie shops take the subject of knickers very seriously and I could pay three times as much for half as much material! I went back to the supermarket and bought the remaining two pairs in my size! Luckily the gîte had a washing machine and I managed with three pairs all week.
ReplyDeleteWe went away for the weekend once and managed to leave behind the bag containing Bob's clothes and our toiletries. Dashed to M&S for pants, teeshirts and toothbrushes. I'm always anxious about travel tickets, passports and pills.
DeleteWe always pack Norrie’s meds as a complete double package ever since our American family got stuck here during the ash cloud and all four ran out of medication! What a palaver trying to get them emergency supplies. Twice in our 55 years of going away, Norrie has left his outdoor jacket at home over a chair and we have had to buy something from a sale/ market stall to tide him over. I once forgot Leanne’s knickers when we went to London when she was about 12 so she had to wear a pair of mine with a pin holding them up as we hotfooted to M and S the next morning. Have a lovely time when you go away and I’ll look forward to hearing about your adventures. Catriona
ReplyDeleteThank you, a reminder to pin a few safety pins to the lining of my suitcase!
DeleteIbuprofen, I had to pay £8 for a very small packet in Italy and some insect bite cream like Antisan after an attack by many mosquitoes on another holiday. Carole R
ReplyDeleteI react very badly to bites, so always pack meds (and a 'zapper')
DeleteI too forgot husband's underpants very early on in our marriage. For the first two days we washed his one pair and hung them up over the bath to dry as no shops open near where we were staying this was a long time ago before Sunday opening. As soon as we could but some new ones we did. We really travel light now and have got minimal packing down to a fine art. I think your mantra of travel tickets, passports and pills is absolutely right. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteI managed ok with 3 pairs of pants for a fortnight when we did our motorbike trips
DeleteWhere are you going?? How exciting .
ReplyDeleteI start packing well beforehand by laying out what I think I need bu the suitcase. Then I spend days taking away and adding! I do tend to return with clothes unworn , so obviously havent got it right yet! I try to fit a little travel kettle in as so many European hotels dont know the joy of an early morning cup of tea in bed! Dont forget chargers.
Europe - but not to a hotel, we will be staying with very dear friends. So it won't be too serious if I have forgotten something, as I will probably be able to borrow it.
DeleteTea is essential. I took my stainless steel teapot, plastic mugs, teabags, milk and chocolate biscuits to the Premier Inn last time we met up with a friend. Mu husband is used to me but our friend thought it was champion! The only other thing I would add is hand sanitiser in spray form, which can be used for surfaces as well as hands. Have a lovely time. Carole from Durham.
ReplyDeleteWe are staying with English friends. There will be tea there!! 🫖
DeleteWhat great tips both in your post and the comments. We’ve not had a holiday for years and I’m almost at the stage where I dread the prep so much it puts me off booking something…….however we will hopefully do something next year, even if it’s a weekend city break……
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
When you already live in a beautiful part of the country, it is tempting to think "why bother?" But sometimes it is good to get away for a few days and enjoy somewhere different..
DeleteWe both travel with as little as possible. We both wear one pair of jeans to travel in and then wear in the daytime, and pack another nicer, darker pair for evening use, along with three or four tops. One one of our little jaunts last year I had only just washed my best jeans, but instead of adding them to the bag when they were dry, I put them into the wardrobe. I ended up buying another pair from M&S when we went out on a day trip.
ReplyDeleteSo frustrating when you get somewhere, and remember that something is still at home!
DeleteAs we tend to do self catering holidays, I always take teabags and salt and pepper. Its also nice to eat out sometimes when away as I do all the cooking. But have a lovely holiday. Xx
ReplyDeleteFor a self catering holiday, I always take a sharp knife and a potato peeler!
Delete