I know nothing about rugby* - or the differences between Rugby Union and Rugby League. But I
do remember sports commentator
Eddie Waring going on about "Up and Under" on TV [and Mike Yarwood impersonating his Yorkshire Accent]
My double-knit pattern this month is Block #157 "Up and Over", I presume because the vertical strips go up, and over, the horizontal stripes. The term Up-and-Over reminds me of the mechanism on garage doors!
This was an interesting one, I did it with cream as Yarn A,
Blue as Yarn B on the 1st square, and then reversed the colourway for the
second. My tension didn’t match the book – I only needed 13 repeats not 14 to get
the 6” square. A very simple slipstitch pattern. Main colour 1 row K, 1 row
purl, the contrast two rows with a k2, slip1 pattern.

These are very similar to Kirsten’s squares from July, #24 Ridged Blocks, but they have a K2 slip2 row then a P2 slip2 row, making
the vertical lines wider.

I have chosen sea and sand colours because of the beautiful
beaches in Cyprus! A lovely reminder of an unforgettable holiday.
Kirsten was concerned that it may take us four years if we decide to use our squares to make patchwork jumpers. I have suggested we might repeat patterns we like in different colourways for our own garments. If I do repeat any squares for the finished piece, this may well be one I choose
to do again. This pattern produced an interesting square, quickly and easily.
*I prefer knitting to playing rugby!
This is a really pretty pattern, definitely one that I will do (once I have finished the three second squares now outstanding!
ReplyDeleteMy next pair of square will definitely be lacy.
DeleteI have just finished 4 washcloths from a ball of donated cotton yarn. Washed, dried and ready to give to a friend who likes using these instead of towelling. Catriona.
ReplyDeleteMy elderly neighbour Grace knits these(and nothing else!) and takes them in her shopping bag, to give away to people she meets at the bus stop!!
DeleteHow sweet of her! I hope she gives them to people who will use them and not toss them out straight away.JanF
DeleteInfo on Rugby.....13 in a League team and 15 in a Union team. The rest is all about possession after a tackle! Both make football look very tame.
ReplyDeleteSadly I know much more about rugby than knitting!
Thank you for these facts. I am not sure how or when I shall have need of them, but will store them away in the back of my brain!!!
DeleteFunny that, I prefer to watch rugby (league or union) than knitting. Each to their own. The squares look very good. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteEach to their own as you say. Sporting or stitching...
DeleteI can imagine you both, 4 years ahead, determinedly knitting your jumpers!
ReplyDeleteYes, we are both Very Determined Women!!
DeleteThey are very pretty squares, I love that effect.
ReplyDeleteI also smiled at the comment above about the lady who gives away cotton dishcloths at the bus stop, she’s certainly doing her bit for the environment isn’t she 😍
Alison in Devon x
She's the most delightfully eccentric character. Always thoughtful and kind
DeleteThe squares are lovely, my favorite is the one top right. JanF
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteI am like your neighbour Grace, dishcloths are about my limit these days. Never been a fan of rugby, so have no idea about it.
ReplyDeleteBoth those squares look great. :)
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteI know more about football and cricket than rugby, although my Great Nephew Jenson plays Rugby. How nice of your neighbour to give away her hand knitted dishcloths. Xx
ReplyDeleteI've learned more about sport since having grandchildren
DeleteI just bought a large ball of variegated cotton at a charity yard sale at a local church. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it but the lady at the cash said it would make at least 12 dishcloths, so I am going to look for my pattern now!
ReplyDeleteLots of free patterns online
Delete