Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Wednesday Weigh In

At the start of the holidays, I was with Rosie and Jess in Starbucks, and Liz took a photo of us sipping our drinks. "Oh I am so overweight!" I said. Liz said firmly "Mum, I see a picture of a happy woman enjoying time with her grandchildren - not an overweight woman. You mustn't look at every picture of yourself and beat yourself up"

I suddenly remembered this photo of Jamie Lee Curtis taken 25 years ago. Then in her 40s, she deliberately posed in a bikini, no make up, just as she was - extra fat at her midriff, legs not as slim as they'd been twenty years before...and she looked really happy. At the time, it was unheard of for Hollywood stars to show their less-than-perfect-figures. But she said "This is what I look like now!" And was applauded for it
Now she has thighs, a tum, wrinkles, and grey hair - and celebrates them as part of her authentic life and experience. [she is 3 years younger than me]
Now she is quite a bit taller, which does help. But I have taken Liz's words to heart this summer, and celebrated the shape I am. And for the first time since the 1970s I've worn a bikini. And felt good about myself.

But as this wonderful summer moves into autumn, I have to admit that the comfortable retirement, and change of pace, and more time to prepare meals [and Bob doing more of the cooking, with his generous butter-rich portions] has added slightly more pounds than I'd like. I'm even heavier than I was in pregnancy. My knees are protesting because my thighs are so heavy. I know that I do need to get my BMI down - 5 feet high, 12stone in weight is well into the 'obese' category. This is about health, not fashion. I am going to cut back a on sweets and supper-snacks. And drink more water. Aiming for steady not rapid weight loss.

So I have made a little chart [stuck inside the bathroom cabinet] and every Wednesday morning I am doing a Weigh-In [and my mate Wendy in Cyprus is doing likewise] We will encourage each other [at a distance!] Last week my GP decided I ought to have blood tests for diabetes. If better eating can stave off such issues then it is my responsibility to try harder. 

Watch this space...

32 comments:

  1. How sensible Angela. I agree with every part of this post. I watch my weight because I want to stave off health problems as I age, not for looks. It’s not easy if one is prone to weight gain but worth it to avoid health issues I feel. Jill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. This is definitely a health issue, not a vanity project πŸ‘

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I dropped a couple of stone over about 5 years without any hassle - very slowly, but that was my intention. If you weigh in kilos it's easier to weigh less at the end of the week than at the beginning; a drop of 0.1kg looks encouraging even of it is actually only a couple of ounces, whereas going up whole pound is discouraging. I limited myself to one biscuit, one chocolate, one small ramekin of low-fat crisps and one handful of nuts as my four treats through the day. That helped too.
    I'm pretty stable now at just under under 10 stone which is where I want to be. Loose trouser waistbands are my reward! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsten - but I'm definitely a dinosaur with weights and measures! I always weigh myself in lbs, can't visualizer kgs! ⚖️

      Delete
    2. I can't visualise them either... which sort of helps with tracking my weight as I can't stress over pounds and stones!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your weight loss journey, Angela. I will join you and your friend Wendy! My knees have been protesting, too, recently and I know it is because I've gained a bit of weight over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my knees give up on me and I become chair bound, that will not be a good thing πŸͺ‘

      Delete
  4. Good luck. The most helpful thing I did when I was 5ft 2 and 12st was to move our main meal to lunchtime whenever possible Still 5ft 2 but now 9st 8oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very impressive. Thank you for the suggestion about the main meal. Old habits die hard, but now retired, it ought to be easier to adjust things like that

      Delete
    2. Yes, breakfast like a king, lunch like a lord and have supper like a peasant is a good rule!

      Delete
  5. That is responsible attitude if it's all about health. I've always been in my weight category but in my mid 40's, I'm getting annoyed with the tummy that has appeared. I'll still wear what I want but it IS frustrating! I generally eat healthil but I don't want to start having to buy new clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the benefit of height - and you looked very good when we met up twice in August.

      Delete
    2. Height does help, yes. But many beloved clothing items are getting tight round the middle!

      Delete
  6. I too need to cut back on the portions of good I eat. 10 years ago I lost three stones and was able to stop my BP tablets. Sadly I managed to put most of it back on during Covid through my own bad habits returning-too much food and not enough exercise. I too have said that I must do better! Thanks for sharing your aim -you have i spired me thus morning. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think portion control is one of my weak points! Jenny Brand-Miller, the Australian who did a lot of the GI studies 20 years ago says one problem with couples eating together is that there is a tendency to put the same amount on both plates. I must cook fewer potatoes, and serve him the greater portion.πŸ₯”πŸ₯”πŸ₯”

      Delete
    2. I need to use a smaller plate!

      Delete
    3. 🍴that one small change could make a large difference to the number of calories in your portion🍴

      Delete
  7. Well done you and having a friend doing the same thing is very supportive. I have lost two and a half stone since being diagnosed Type 2 diabetes. I am managing to control it by diet only no meds so am pleased with that as is the diabetic nurse. It was hard this weekend when we attended a tea party for the local Hospice which raised over £1000 where many, many delicious home made cakes were offered. I just had one small cheese scone with my tea but quite honestly that was fine. Good luck, slow but steady is the name of the game. You always look lovely in your photos, with a gorgeous smile. Your daughter is right. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is impressive Sue. "Events" are my downfall. We have some very good cooks at church, and I'm going to a fundraiser at another church on Saturday. People work so hard to produce delicious treats for us to enjoy...

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a lot of us including myself share this experience with you, it’s a good idea to take the slow and steady approach.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "crash" diets give short term results, but the weight soon comes back

      Delete
  9. What a very sensible and well balanced approach. I miss being 5ft 6inches, now I'm 5ft 2ins and my BMI has gone up accordingly. I have managed to reset my default weight at 12st 10lb whereas it used to be 13st 4lbs so that's a bit of step in the right direction. But I should try and do better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too Angela! One bite at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck Angela with your slow and steady approach to losing weight, a bit like the hare and tortoise. My poundage seems to go on my tummy, the 'change' didn't help either. I'm really trying to cut back on cakes and biscuits, but its very hard when Iris says I've made you some cupcakes Granny. We normally share one between us and I freeze the rest. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, weight management is harder post menopause. And if we want our grandchildren to learn kitchen skills, we have to sample the outcomes!! 🧁🧁🧁

      Delete
  12. I think exercise plays a big part as we age. I'm coming up to 72 and go to classes at my local gym five or six times a week, pilates included. Once you're in a routine (and exercising with others) it's easier to keep going. Maintaining core strength will not only keep you upright but will strengthen your bones and muscles - so important as we age. I try to a 'nothing between meals' and find it helps keep the pounds off but I find that regular exercise means that I don't have to follow a strict diet. And remember it took a while for those extra pounds to appear and it will take a while longer for them to disappear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some good points here Victoria - your gym habit is impressive!

      Delete
  13. What a lovely message from your daughter, and the Jamie Lee Curtis example is truly inspiring! Good luck with your healthier habits and the weekly weigh-ins with your friend. I hope the blood tests come back well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. Encouraging one another makes the whole process a little easier

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!