Tuesday, 11 August 2026

Hot Topics Q&A #1

 Still hot here. I have an answer for one question, and then a question for which I'd really appreciate your answers. Thank you.

[1] What Are Chafeguards?

Safeguards are things which guard us from anything unsafe. Chafeguards is my word for things which guard us from painful chafing in hot, sticky, sweaty weather. First up, baby powder

Baby powder these days is no longer talcum. In the UK/EU the rules are very strict about the purity of traditional talc. In the USA, there have been cases of cheaper talc containing carcinogenic asbestos. But Boots and major supermarkets are all using cornstarch. A dusting on your skin helps all those areas which get sweaty and maybe sore. Rub it on your sandy feet and it will leave them clean, soft and comfortable when you put your shoes on. 

Chub-Rub shorts are fabulous. In hot sticky weather I find it really uncomfortable wearing a dress, my thighs rub and chafe. A pair of these under my skirt makes such a difference. I use Snag. They are light and fit perfectly. Liz recommends Primark cotton cycling shorts. As Carole King [almost] sang, Can I believe the magic of your thighs? Will you still love me tomorrow? 

[2] Are you a [S]crimper?
I keep being sent links to this offer - a free mini crimpit wrap. I can see the potential usefulness of this gadget for making quick snacks in the airfryer.  I read a few reviews which went from 5* genius, use it everyday to 1* useless, I could get the same result with beaten egg and a fork. Have any of you out there got one, and how would you rate it? Crimp and Rave, or Scrimp and Save?






13 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the crimper. I also don't use chub rub shorts but I occasionally wear shorts under a circle skirt if I'm cycling and it's windy. Running low though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are useful as a "modesty garment" Rosie and her friends wear shorts under dresses so they can practise handstands!

      Delete
  2. I have an over the counter cream to rub on my "bits" that suffer from chafing. Not a fan of Talc....no idea why? The crimper thing is a pass for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a full sized Crimpet, but I have never been tempted by the mini one. I haven't used it for a long time, but they are useful if you like wraps. I cook mine in my frying pan or in the oven if it's on for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been tempted by a crimpet over the years, but resisted so far.
    I started using talc again yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like talc-less talc.
    Just happened to have ordered something similar to those under-shorts.
    And (in the US) never heard of the crimpet. At my age I try not to buy anymore kitchen gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ought to be reducing my gadgets too...

      Delete
  6. Oh the difficulties caused by the extreme heat! Meanwhile yesterday we had a series of thunderstorms all day with sunny periods, but it is pleasant today. I hope you will soon get some more tolerable weather.
    I remember owning something like a crimpet that was designed to use with pastry. It got donated before I got around to using it. It might have been useful with tortillas and such nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a small one that made very little pasties, and I donated that years ago. But that was way too small to use with tortillas...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The memory of elderly ladies seen on childhood holidays, whose skirts blew up in sea breezes to reveal Germolene pink knee-length bloomers, comes to mind. They were obviously (and sensibly) years ahead of their time. Thanks for the tip. I am off to check out Snag :)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!