So the neighbours were sitting round at the BBQ, and Helen mentioned the problems Peter was having with his costume. Her husband is a semi professional Santa, and does dozens of gigs every Christmas - hospitals, hospices, care homes,charity functions... He is short and round,with thick snowy white hair, and a long, soft, flowing beard. But Helen said his costume was looking tatty and the fur was dingy and matted. She'd tried sponging it, but the red fabric was not colourfast. Some fur went pinkish...
Can I help? I said. Can you sew? she asked me. Much laughter as other neighbours said Yes, definitely Ang can sew!
We agreed I'd look at it when I got back from Cyprus [he has his first photo shoot in a week's time] I took the fur off, and made notes and took photos at every stage, so I'd be able to reassemble it properly with new fur.
I am glad I made a list, I'd never have managed to get lining, red fabric, interlining, zip, white fur all in the right order.
The new fur was quite a contrast to the old.
I did most of the work before we went to London, there were bits of trimmed fur floating about, drifting into every room. Yesterday morning I finished the work, including creating a new bobble for the hat.
- Make a list of the order of work
- Use plastic clips, or pins with glass heads. Regular pins will disappear into the fur, and that's not safe!
- Use a contrast colour thread for tacking, it is easier to find and remove at the end.
I have made the new cuffs separate, removable pieces - and hand stitched them in place. If they get grubby, it will be easy for Helen to unpick them for washing.
All that's left is a quick polish of the hat bells with Brasso. I shall protect the fur from polish by putting a piece of card round each bell as I clean it
Peter and Helen are currently on holiday. I hope to get a good photo of him in costume soon! 🎅 🎅 🎅



Love the idea of a semi-professional Santa!
ReplyDeleteHe'll look very smart with his new fur. Well Done
If you saw him, you'd understand. He really does look the part! And he is so generous with his time, especially visiting very sick children. 🎅🎅🎅
DeleteYou are a good neighbour! Great job!
ReplyDelete🎅🎅🎅
DeleteAnother great save from landfill by your patience and knowledge. Catriona
ReplyDeleteNew costumes are quite expensive, and this one fits him so well. Worth the cost of a length of fur fabric to fix it
DeleteYou have worked your sewing magic yet again! Santa will be delighted I am sure. Regards Sue H
ReplyDelete🧑🎄👍
DeleteFur has always seemed to me to be one of the impossible fabrics tonnage. What a great job you've done 🎅
ReplyDeleteI must defluff my machine, and vacuum all the carpets now, though....
DeleteTo manage!
DeleteThat refreshed suit looks brilliant, well done. I have never seen a Santa with bells on his hat before, it's usually the elves that jingle. :-)
ReplyDeleteAs he doesn't have an elf, I think Peter likes the little bells.
DeleteYou're Santa's Helper. It looks terrific.
ReplyDeleteI am a mere Subordinate Claus
DeleteHaha! Good one!
Delete~ skye
😉
DeleteThat looks like a complicated job, but worth it. It sounds like a lot of people benefit from that costume. You are amazing, and so much respect for the meticulous approach you took.
ReplyDeleteIt makes it easier in the long run. I note that Steve on the Repair Shop and his colleagues, also take careful notes when dismantling things. Nothing worse than getting everything back together and finding one spare piece left on the table, with no idea where it goes
DeleteI think you have been gifted with the talent and patience to do the impossible where sewing is concerned! Not many people would feel able to tackle that challenge. Well done!
ReplyDeleteIt is as DL says, a God given talent, so I believe it is right to use it to bless others
DeleteYou are so kind. Thank you for sharing the abundance of talent that God has given you. You are a good example to us all. DL
ReplyDelete👍❤️ thankyou
DeleteYou are definitely one of Santa's elves! :)
ReplyDelete🎅 🎅 🎅
Delete