Saturday, 10 October 2026

Not A Ship In A Bottle...

 ...A Nativity In A JamJar

Last week's Teaser post. What have I been making for Katie's Fundraiser at the Chapel today? I had such fun last year making a pegdoll Nativity Set for a friend, and I was wondering how I could use these little people to make a smaller nativity scene. I wondered if I could put the family [Jesus, Mary and Joseph - but not a wee donkey] into a jam jar and illuminate it.

Practice model - I put two pegdolls, and a small biscuit in a jar. Then I inverted a battery powered tealight through a hole in the lid, and sat a conical cardboard roof on top. Bob said it looked a bit like a pixie house [agreed] But on the other hand, I needed a bit of height to cover the light. I also tucked some paper behind to make the figures stand out. I put a bible verse on the reverse side. I cut tiny felt pieces for garments - and hunted for a small wooden bead [for the baby's head]  I did not find wooden beads, just coloured plastic ones- so painted them to match parents.

You will see that each little roof now has a lower flattish top.I could not disguise the hole in the bead for the baby's head, so I used it as a way of attaching a little halo!
A cute little Nativity Scene to brighten a Christmas display. I am charging £5 [it is for charity after all] I used 8 jamjars and 16 pegs from my stash, and some felt sent anonymously by blogfriends [thank you] I hope I sell them all! Update. Sold just 3 jars. Made £37, I'm happy with that. Will find out total raised at the event tomorrow.



33 comments:

  1. Very good I hope you sell out and if you do you could sell a kit at a reduced cost x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wonderful! I hope you sell them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very cute and I do hope that they sell well. Your have priced them cheaply so good luck.

      Delete
  3. They are really appealing. I think you will have no problems selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you sell all the nativities. My craft group are making them this year after they saw the one I made last year! We’ll just wrap some lights round the bottom-must remember to shred the saved brown paper for straw on the bottom. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! You're so clever Ang. Good weekend to you.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such clever ideas and they really look good. I'm sure they'll sell well

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cute and clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever and so cute.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the others so cute and very ingenious how you put it all together. I hope they all sell, they should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can find somewhere to sell the rest

      Delete
  10. They are lovely, so different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will sell out for sure! I am so glad that your fingers are still able to do this intricate work.
    Thank you for doing so much for charity. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping my fingers busy moving is important I think

      Delete
  12. They are lovely and so clever of you to make them. Hopefully there will be a good total for the Fundraiser. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just heard the total this far is £981 !!!

      Delete
  13. How very clever of you. No end to your talents. How about trying to sell the rest a little bit nearer Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about where i might sell them

      Delete
  14. Such a sweet idea. i'm sure they will be popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not all of them sold, although they were much admired

      Delete
  15. Now I just have to source some of those tiny pegs, my granddaughters will love making those for the Christmas season. JennyP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine online, but The Range, The Works and Hobbycraft sell them in store. Also Baker Ross

      Delete
  16. Maybe you can sell the remaining ones on your Etsy shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem would be in posting the glass jar

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!