Monday 10 February 2020

The Root Of The Matter

I am sorry that some of you cannot get comments published on the blog - I have no idea why that is. Liz sent me a message, as she couldn't comment, on the subject of celeriac. She recommended celeriac remoulade - and specifically Nigel Slater's recipe from the Guardian. So I strolled down to the shop and bought some parsley, and made some for lunch. The recipe is surprisingly easy.
Peel then shred a medium-sized (450g) celeriac. 
The shreds should not be too fine, nor should they be thicker than a matchstick. 
Toss them immediately in the juice of half a lemon. 
Mix together 4 heaped tbsp of good mayonnaise, 2 tbsp of smooth Dijon mustard, 
2 tbsp of double cream or crème fraîche and 2 tbsp of chopped parsley. 
Season with salt and black pepper, then fold into the shredded celeriac. 
Set aside for 30 minutes then serve with thin slices of ham.
I used some think home-made yogurt in place of creme fraiche. We'd finished the crusty walnut loaf, so I added some triangles of regular sliced - it made a good lunch.
We both liked the sharpness of the mustardy/lemony mayo sauce, although we felt the celeriac itself did not have as much flavour as we had expected [do read the NS article above- it is full of useful tips]

I had used the other half of the root for Hugh FWs "Three Root Boulangere" This is from his "River Cottage Veg Everyday" book. [Recipe here]
This was a good warming dish [I used carrots instead of parsnips] and one I was able to leave in the oven to cook whilst I popped out to see someone. OK on its own, but it would be a great accompaniment to a roast chicken. It was lighter than a creamy dauphinoise.
I checked out the price of celeriac in the supermarket - and my " organic brains" from the farm shop cost about the same as a 'regular' celeriac root from Waitrose [£1.60 kg]. That surprised me - some of the Farm Shop prices were noticeably higher than the supermarkets. If I see these on sale in the future I shan't be as reluctant to purchase them.


2 comments:

  1. I like how willing you are to try new foods and recipes, Angela. My daughter is like that, too. I, on the other hand, tend to stick to what I know and like! Not at all adventurous when it comes to foods that are new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly like celeriac remoulade with smoked fish. It really complements the smoky, slightly salty flavour.
    I solved the problem of commenting by changing from Safari to Chrome and suddenly Google knows who I am and let’s me comment on blogs.
    I was up early due to the howling wind (again) and writing shopping lists. I decided to price compare on toiletries and was really surprised with the differences on major brands between Boots and Waitrose. It is good to know that farm shops can sometimes beat the supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!