Thursday 15 October 2020

Thoughts From Under A Harvest Moon

My good friend Steve walks his dogs every day - and once a month he sends me a lovely piece of writing about what he has seen. October's email was so beautiful that I asked if I could share it with you. Here's his 'guest post' [thanks, Steve]

October is here, with ripened seeds, and the homely smell of Autumnal weeds, my heart goes back to a vanished day; and I am again a boy at play *

The first day of this month my faithful companions and I were out for our early morning stroll and we did not need a torch - we were illuminated by the Harvest Moon, what a wonderful sight this huge red moon lighting up the sky. The full moon nearest the autumn equinox gives us this magnificent display and it is really a welcome to the autumnal season.

Out on another morning and strolling up the lane we were bombarded by bats, circling over our heads... perhaps attracted by the moths in the torch light. The Little Owl is still plaintively calling - I think this might be one of this year’s owlets calling for its family or a mate. Nearer the woods we see a roe deer standing under the tree canopy and partly hidden by the remaining bracken … as it raised its head and sniffed the air the light colour on the inside of her ears gave her away, a magnificent sight and not to be missed .

The trees are starting to change colour; the beech are perhaps first to change followed closely by the oaks. They are now in their autumnal dresses all bright colours, I am sure they are just waiting for the end of season ball .They are shedding the twiglets, small branches with leaves and acorns on them...The sweet chestnuts are spreading their nuts all over the ground and the outer cases that open when still on the tree fold back their shells to imitate a magnolia flower - a delightful pinkish white colour and a joy to see. The nuts usually come in threes, with two small and the remaining one worth putting in the pocket. The horse chestnut is also shedding its conkers - they are a beautiful polished brown and a last chance to take a few home to keep the spiders at bay.

The garden has survived the past few days rain. There are a few small figs I must remove from the little tree we have, then pick a couple of ripe and delicious melons, and some apples. The onion sets planted a couple of weeks ago are already starting to show their green leaves.

The best thing about the future is that it is offered to you one day at a time …Though you may not know what the future holds you can calmly say; I know who holds the future.

*apologies to Canadian poet Sir Charles Roberts

Isn't that a lovely?   


4 comments:

  1. His writing is so evocative, I can imagine I am there. How delightful that he sends you an email lime this every month

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this with us, Angela. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, that is a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!