Sunday 3 July 2022

Be Encouraged

There are some lovely red flowers on my runner bean tipi. I took my phone outside to take a picture of them - vivid scarlet among the lush green leaves. How encouraging to see them there! And then I spotted the brightly spotted ladybird which had just settled.
The Norfolk name for the ladybird is bishy barnabee. At school we were told this was probably for Bishop Barnabas [the ladybird's markings resemble a mitre.] Certainly not for Bishop Bonner, the unpleasant Tudor cleric who lived in Dereham - there's evidence the name is older than that.
But who was Barnabas? He was originally called Joseph [Acts ch4] but was given the nickname Barnabas, which means "son of encouragement". He certainly seems to have helped, blessed and encouraged new Christians, assisted the foundation of new churches, and travelled with Paul on some of his missionary journeys. 
We all need to encourage and to be encouraged at times. Here's a lovely prayer from Hereford Cathedral about Barnabas 
Be encouraged! 




16 comments:

  1. I'm always happy to see ladybirds, hopefully eating aphids...did you know that one ladybird can eat 5000 aphids in its lifetime? Now there's a bit of useless information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that IS interesting. Did you know that the word "myriad" means 10,000. So a pair of ladybirds will eat a myriad of aphids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know Myriad meant 10,000!!!
    I wish we had more ladybirds in our garden! The blackfly descended onto my Dwarf beans yesterday and I could do with some Predators for them. I squirted at them with my water spray.
    They have also made a beeline for our lemon tree flowers!
    I'm off to my concert in Woodford at the Sir James Hawkey Hall and I have to walk via St Barnabas road to get there where my old dear friend from church still lives. I have a feeling he needs some encouragement at the moment but he hasn't returned my call which I made hoping to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...do I risk an impromptu visit???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kezzie - I hope you call in and brighten his day

      Delete
  5. Here is the US, those are called Ladybugs! So much interesting information in your comments, too!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always amused that President LBJs wife was called Ladybird Johnson. She didn't seem red and spotty to me!

      Delete
  6. The new ram we git last year we named Barnabas. All our sheep have biblical names. Lambs we breed (Barnabas was bought in ) have to follow in alphabetical order each year so we will be looking at names beginning G next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great name, Philip (guessing it's youl Gideon my favourite, also Gamaliel. But a large lamb would have to be Goliath.

      Delete
  7. In Norway Ladybirds are kalled Marihøne. The name is connected to Virgin Mary. Thank you for the prayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marit. I think "ladybird" is something to do with"Our Lady Mary" too

      Delete
  8. Thank you for encouraging us to be encouraged, Angela. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up with ladybirds and ended up with ladybugs over here! Definitely a fan of St. Barnabas, and I like the prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see Marit's comment above. I must checkout this link between the names of these little insects and the BVM

      Delete
  10. I love the prayers that you share. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!