Saturday 20 August 2022

Saturday Morning

Bob did make me pancakes for breakfast - we ate them happily, but we did remark that it was ages since we'd eaten breakfast pancakes without Rosie's company. I found this poem by Jim Yerman, called "Saturday Morning" which seemed appropriate...
SATURDAY MORNING
Every Saturday morning always begins the same for me…standing in the kitchen, I’m flooded with memories.
When our children were little…and whenever grandchildren came our way…Saturday morning at our house was always pancake day.
Saturday morning was when my creativity and artistic talent were thoroughly tested…as I’d make pancakes in any shape and colour our children or grandchildren requested.
Some of my creations were more Impressionistic…others were a little less than breathtaking…but I’m proud to say no request was ever rejected in all my years of pancake making.
I like to think that, every now and then, on a Saturday morning our children and grandchildren think of me…and think about the branch we grew upon our family tree.
And how that branch connects to all the other branches…back through the annals of time…helping to make our tree strong and transcendent…noble and sublime.
I hope they’ve learned this lesson…deeply rooted in our family tree… that an adventure is exactly what a family is supposed to be!
And how a family, again like my pancakes, on this my children and grandchildren would agree…is never flawless…never perfect…but…they don’t have to be.
You see, no pancake I created was ever perfect…but they did have a kind of flair…and as long as they resembled the request…our children and grandchildren didn’t care.
Because when it comes to family, just like those pancakes made every Saturday morning throughout their childhood…. It’s the time spent together in their creation… that makes them taste so good…


14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to enjoy some pancakes for breakfast! Lovely poem, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to have fresh pancakes for breakfast. Happy weekend! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely poem. Today's shared moments became tomorrow's memories. Coincidentally I made strawberry banana pancakes this morning. ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem and the idea to add color to pancake batter!
    We sometimes have pandakes a for dinner

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband makes the grandkids pancakes for breakfast when they are here. They call him "Pop" and call his pancakes "popcakes".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob's pancakes look delicious. We tend to make the North American pudgy round ones that would probably be called something like griddle cakes in England. I finally got hold of a recipe that makes mine rise better. I used to use a special pan to make some of them with Christmas motifs when granddaughter was little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm, I love pancakes!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!