Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Fancy Birds, Crazy Words

We have been having such a fabulous family time. I've had some issues with my photos, but I did get this one on Monday on my phone. This 'fancy bird', as one of the family described it, paraded across the picnic area at Roarr! . So lovely to see these real creatures, in among all the animatronic dinosaurs, strutting their stuff, and owning the place. 

The peacock reminded me of that 'trick poem' written nearly 400 years ago. You can read it as it is, or read it from the middle of one line to the middle of the next [use the red blocks as line breaks.] I must show Rosie when she comes round later

    I Saw a Peacock # with a fiery tail

    I saw a Blazing Comet # drop down hail,

    I saw a Cloud # with Ivy circled round,

    I saw a sturdy Oak # creep on the ground,

    I saw a Pismire # swallow up a Whale,

    I saw a raging Sea  brim full of Ale,

    I saw a Venice Glass # Sixteen foot deep,

    I saw a well  # full of men's tears that weep,

    I saw their eyes # all in a flame of fire,

    I saw a House # as big as the Moon and higher,

    I saw the Sun # even in the midst of night,

    I saw the man # that saw this wondrous sight.

[pismire = ant, Venice glass = venetian glass goblet]


2 comments:

  1. Rosie will enjoy the poem I’m sure! Thanks for sharing-I had. never seen it before. Off to a coffee morning at URC Rutherglen this morning which is being run by young people with additional support needs as part of their learning programme. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are quite a few famous "trick'" poems. This one was used for some years on the London Underground.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!