Monday, 20 July 2026

Temperature Spike

Julian was with us for three days over the weekend. We did fun stuff - the Bridewell Museum in Norwich, the Aviation Museum, Board Games, Lunch with family etc. In April 25, J gave me a Mr Potato Head plantholder. I filled it with an Aloe, and rechristened MrPH 'Spike' 

In 15 months, he has grown a lot more spikes. He lives on the end of the kitchen windowsill. In this extreme heat, I have kept the blinds right down all the time, so that the room doesn't get too hot. 
But I had a bit of a shock on Saturday - it was cooler, so I put the blind up a little more than it has been for the past three weeks. 
Just look at Spike now!
I do believe he is sprouting a flower,
for the first time ever.
I was ridiculously pleased that this has happened whilst Julian was with us. I wonder if the flower will get bigger or open up in anyway.? Do aloes have 'babies'?





24 comments:

  1. I have an aloe on my kitchen window sill but only in a plain pot. It has numerous babies over 5 years they don't come to much and my aloe makes new babies round the bottom of the plant, which I then prize out and plant into new pots and hey presto plants to give away. They have very shallow roots but grow on very quickly. I must have given away 20 or so new plants. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is amazing, 🪴🪴🪴

      Delete
  2. Wow! Very impressive. He likes the hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful with its flowering stalk. Maybe time for a larger pot? Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🪴😀 I will have to find something else to go in Mr PH

      Delete
  4. Good morning. Blickling are currently doing a secret library tour to fit in with the Journeys Textile exhibition. This may interest you with books selected. Booking for tge tour are on-line. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Rachel, I'd missed that ! Hoping to get to Oxburgh this summer

      Delete
  5. Wow, that’s amazing
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's very appealing and must make you smile when you see him . It took me a while to notice his little hands!
    Are those miniature irons useful or a decoration? JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use them to flatten things in the frying pan . We found them 30 years ago in a cupboard when we moved house.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I've ignored my aloe vera for years... they must be a desert plant to survive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use my Gran’s old flat iron as a doorstop. And Aloe Vera plants split really easily. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must find a friend locally who can help me split it

      Delete
  9. Well that is a fancy new hair do for Spike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sometimes wonder if we know the half of it when it comes to plants. I mean - we talk about them being alive, but sometimes they do these lovely things. When we came back into our flat after 3 months away, our cheeseplant suddenly shot a huge shoot skywards. I'm not saying they have brains or anything, but it was like being welcomed back. I know, I need to get out more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been so heartwarming. Just surviving your absence was good, but to hoist a flag in celebration, even better. I hope all is settled down at your place now

      Delete
  11. Lovely to see the flower stalk! I wonder what color the flowers will be. My aloe vera plants have yellow flowers while my other types of aloe plants tend to have orange flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spike must have enjoyed the heat even if you didn't. Lovely to have the flower visible when Julian was visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!