Tuesday 21 July 2009

To the Moon and Back!

Forty years ago, as a teenager, I remember standing in a friend's back garden in Norfolk after church - and we all looked up at the sky and speculated that the next day, men would be walking on the moon.
It seemed incredible. And now, it seems incredible to me how much the world has changed since then, and how much my little corner of it has altered too.
I certainly would have found it hard back then to imagine that this morning I would be sitting at a PC in London typing this. The PC in front of me is probably more powerful than the ones they had in Houston [some of their calculations were done on slide rules!] And I never imagined that I would have two grown up girls here, and a husband waiting for me in Leicester [and my own little garden in Norfolk!]
I have had a fabulous mini-holiday with Liz, Steph, Jon and Mark and now I am going to drive up the M1 home. Unlike Buzz and co, I will be able to stop en route and walk about, have a coffee and use the loo in relative comfort if I need to!
I shall blog extensively when I get back, about my trip, I am sure.
I am just glad that in this changing world, some things are reliable and constant, like God's love.
Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

5 comments:

  1. Hasnt the world changed, not all for the better, I think, but in this last half century the aadvances have been amazing.
    I'm so glad you had a lovely mini break, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I'm amazed in the changes in technology that have occurred over the last five years, never mind forty! I worry that we accept technological change without much question, though. Of course, there's a lot I love, including wandering around in Blogland to visit my friends ...

    Have a great trip! Can't wait to hear about any new developments at the M1 House.

    frances

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela!
    I remember I was at Camp Lutherwood when the moon walk occurred. I sat at a picnic table in the dining hall, trying to see the action on a tiny, black and white television. I so love the moon and I can only imagine walking on it! Yes, so much has changed. We've learned from and experienced many moments and our world continues to seek answers. Oh yes, GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS! I'm glad you had such a lovely time away. I love your grateful heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your personal reminiscences. As one who has seen even more water pass under the bridge, I too marvel at the changes--and the rapidly accelerating change--in our world. Some of it is good (like the way the computer has given us to power to reach out across the miles and minister to others far away). But a lot of change is not so good. Even those same computers can become a tool to spread corruption.

    Great to know, in changing times, that God's mercy and grace through Christ are still available. A daily, abundant supply. Thanks for quoting Thomas Chisholm's hymn, "Great Is Thy Faithfulness." Today is actually the 143 anniversary of his birth. If you'd like to learn more about him, and other hymn-related events, you can check out my blog. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert - would love to check out your blog- where is it??

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!