Tuesday 8 December 2009

The Best Policy

Lucy, the wife of another Baptist Minister, who blogs at "Looking for Something Deeper" has kindly awarded me the Honest Scrap Blog award. Lucy has ME and writes a thoughtful blog which has honest and inspiring posts.

honest scrap award

In order to accept the award, it is necessary to follow these instructions:
1. Thank the person who gave you the award and list their blog and link it.
2. Share "10 Honest things" about yourself.
3. Present this award to 7 others whose blogs you find brilliant in content and/or design, or those who have encouraged you.
4. Tell those 7 people they've been awarded HONEST SCRAP and inform them of these guidelines in receiving the award.

OK - ten honest things about myself - in no particular order!

  1. I try to send hand-made Christmas cards each year, and they must have a nativity theme, all about Jesus, never Santas or snowmen!
  2. I usually make the cards at the end of December/beginning of January and then pack them away with the Christmas decorations for 11 months!
  3. I have made my family Christmas Cake every year since 1979 [except once when I bought an awful one from Asda] using the same recipe from my Good Housekeeping Cookbook.
  4. But I always replace the brandy in the recipe with cold tea! [teetotal family background, no brandy in the house, and tea is infinitely cheaper! And the great Margeurite Patten endorses this practice]
  5. I love singing hymns, but do not consider "One More Step Along the World I Go" to be a Christian Hymn, so if that is chosen for a service, I stand there with my mouth firmly shut.
  6. I also feel hymns should be accurate, so if we sing "These are the Days of Elijah" then when everyone else sings about "David, rebuilding the temple" I sing Solomon. Similarly, I cannot sing "Mister Cow" [It should be MRS Cow or Mr BULL!]
  7. I am finding doing blog awards increasingly difficult to do - so this is my last one, so here and now I am declaring Tracing Rainbows to be a tagfree, award free blog.tagfree
  8. I consider a very self-disciplined person, if I say I will do something, then I will do it.
  9. Except diet and exercise
  10. ...and housework, sometimes. This is supposed to be an honest list!

Thank you for the award Lucy - but this is the end of the line - so I shall not pass it on to 7 others - but rather say Thank You to all the blog-friends whose writings bring me much amusement, inspiration, friendship and joy.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Angela,
    Yes, I hear you on the award free/tag free thinking! I have an imaginary gift for you today on my blog (o:
    Come on over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are hard work to do, aren't they!! It takes me ages to do an award post; I am in two minds about them myself.

    I like 8,9 and 10 - sounds very familiar!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my Christian teachers at High School, nearly 50 years ago, always refused to sing "I vow to thee my Country" . I understand her standpoint but also the feelings of the author of the hymn who had lost a precious son in the mindless slaughter of the Great War.

    I don't know the Mr Cow song. It sounds rather banal. Is it US American? I always have problems with those "wanna" and "gonna " worship songs just as I did 30+ years ago with the CSSM chorus "Just a little talk with Jesus makes it right". Helps to make it right maybe. (Does anybody else remember those rather trite CSSM choruses?)

    My late husband, who was not into the demonic or 17th century Christian culture , always found Bunyan's hobgoblins and foul fiends an odd thing to be singing about.

    One could go on about Christian songs, hymns, choruses etc. Like Elisabeth Elliot I do prefer hymns which teach proper theology but I have to admit that one of my daughters did have "One more Step " as one of her wedding hymns. The Rector didn't seem to mind.

    Angela, do you sing "We Three Kings of Orient are"? As far as I can tell from the biblical record they were probably astrologers rather than kings and have we any evidence, other than the 3 gifts, that there were only 3 of them?

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Cow is by Julia Plaut, an Australian.
    And yes, I too struggle with 'gonna' and 'wanna'
    I still have my little CSSM badge [Chalkwell Park, Southend, early 1960's!!]
    I am afraid that We Three Kings has too many parodies for me to take it seriously, and yes, I agree, 3 gifts is all we know about the 'wise men' from the Bible account.
    Oh dear, am I getting too picky? 99% of the time, singing hymns is a real blessing and joy for me. I mustn't let the trite, banal, incorrect, and ungrammatical 1% spoil all the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading these things about you! What a wonderful idea of making your handmade cards after Christmas for the next year. That would make it much more manageable.

    I just want to thank you so much for the encouraging comment you left for me on my blog. Your thoughtfulness and prayers means so much! It really was a blessing to my day! :)

    Blessings to you,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!