Wednesday 14 September 2016

Spreading It Around

The Queen took the butter
And brought it to His Majesty;
The King said, "Butter, eh?"
And bounced out of bed.
"Nobody," he said,
As he kissed her tenderly,
"Nobody," he said,
As he slid down the banisters,

"Nobody, my darling, could call me a fussy man -
BUT - I do like a little bit of butter to my bread!" 

I can't think of another butter poem at the minute, apart from A A Milne's one about the King's Breakfast. Liz brought me a jar of her home made butter at the weekend. But this is Spoon Butter. It is designed to nourish and rejuvenate your treen [don't you just love that word?] Treen is the proper term for small domestic wooden objects [ie spoons, salad servers, little bowls etc] You rub it in lavishly, and leave it overnight, then polish the items again next morning with a clean cloth. She was making some for herself, and thought that as I was in a polishing sort of mood, I would like a jar too [thanks, sweetheart, you are kind to your old Mum!]
Thus far I have just done one item - the hand carved wooden scoop which lives in my salt pig - referred to as "The Broomfield Spoon" in honour of the friend who made it. It was looking quite dull and dry. It is lovely and golden and smooth again now...

Here is the recipe -
in a jar put the following

25g beeswax
100ml sunflower oil
a few drops of peppermint oil

Melt these by standing the jar in a pan of simmering water. Stir to combine, allow to cool. Done!
The peppermint oil is not essential, but gives it a lovely perfume. 
Liz and Rosie left us after lunch on Tuesday, having spent the morning at Kingston Lacy, the lovely National Trust property nearby. We decided to just walk in the gardens, not go into the house. Half way round, the heavens opened, there was lightning and thunder, and we had to retreat to the coffee shop in the Old Stables. Rosie certainly enjoyed munching on her NT biscuit. 

What fun we've had together over the last few days.

3 comments:

  1. Betty Bitter bought some butter.
    "But", she said, "this butter's bitter.
    If I put it in my batter
    It will make my batter bitter."
    So, she bought some better butter,
    Better than the bitter butter.
    And 'twas better Betty Botter
    Bought a bit of better butter.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie looks like she's fully occupied with her biscuit. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!