Sunday 26 February 2017

Dorset Is The Worst County

This statement has really got to me in the past few weeks. 
 A survey of Hate Crime across England and Wales since last year's referendum shows a significant increase- and Dorset is the WORST County - hate crime here has increased by 100%, more than any other county. I am deeply saddened by this - I have loved living here for the past two years, and would have happily said 'This is one of the best places to live' I don't feel that any more. I want it to be different. I want love, and understanding and tolerance.

These people on the receiving end - they are made in the image of God...as are the perpetrators of the hate crimes.

I want to see the atmosphere changed, I want people's hearts turned from hate to love, and I believe that it is only God's Holy Spirit who can truly change hearts. In the last 3 weeks, I have been to a number of events where we sang this song - its words really challenge me. 

I imagine that Rend Collective wrote this from their background in Ulster, where men and women, brothers and sisters have been divided for so long, and where healing and peace is a slow process. But in the last few months these words seem so apposite for our whole nation.


Heal our streets and land, we pray





11 comments:

  1. Hear, hear. Hate can be in the most beautiful of places, and love can be in an inner city slum. We can change this, if we all unite. We must try and reach out to those with hate filled hearts and minds, we can do it but I fear it will take time, we just have to be steadfast and have faith. Bless you. Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much of it and every where, too, it seems. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is indeed sad. Prayers are needed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like to think of Dorset as being so unkind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me neither. I suppose my only consolation is that it may be the worst in terms of the percentage increase, but there were still fewer incidents than in some other counties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sang this song at church this morning-the lyrics are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The frightening thing for me is seeing how quickly the hate has been stirred up in people and places I would never have expected to find it. Does this mean it was there all the time, lurking under the surface? Or is it that the power of those who wish to influence and manipulate the masses for their own sinister ends is greater than I thought?
    Either way, it's a terrifying thought, that the nasty side of people can be brought to the surface so easily and getting them to see reason and show tolerance can be so much harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that it has been there beneath the surface in many people - or rather the fear & misunderstanding that leads to hate has been there - and recent eveznts in US & UK politics have given people "permission" to express this. When you see politicians and world leaders spouting hate and oppression then it becomes more normal to do it oneself. Frightening times when we all need to stand shoulder to shoulder in the name of love, justice and equality.

      Delete
  8. Angela, I follow various blogs from several different countries around the world. I am not a confident writer and do not have a blog. However, as a follower of these dozen or so blogs, I have felt the uneasy sense that racism and nationalism were on the rise. This was not because the bloggers expressed such opinions, but they often would mention stories about the socio-economic conditions that concerned them. I find much to admire in all religious traditions and think of them as the glue that holds together a culture. Unfortunately, that glue seems to have come unstuck in a lot of places. QPeople seem to be frantic about wealth and possessions and don't seem to care about the needs of others. All faiths speak to the need to behave in a loving consideration of others. I am appalled at our current situation in the US and have been for a long time. I have been the beneficiary of much kindness in life and I have tried to be kind and to reflect my faith as a Christian. However, I have personally witnessed just as much cruelty towards the "Other". I grew up surrounded by the viciousness of Jim Crow laws, but the teachings of my faith couldn't reconcile me to these laws. Well, you can see that I would be a wordy, preachy blogger. May blessings rain on your head! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie for your comments. It is so sad to see selfishness and racism on the increase. I am reminded of the words of WW1 nurse Edith Cavell, who said "Patriotism is not enough - I must have no hatred or bitterness for anyone" We must each work for peace and tolerance in the places where we live and work.Bless you x

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!