Friday 19 May 2017

Making A Statement

You may remember my delight in acquiring a proper Norfolk 'slop' smock last month. Liz suggested that it would look good with a piece of 'statement' jewellery - perhaps a bold brooch, necklace or pendant. Well, I tried my various pendants - and none of them looked quite right. Most of them made me look like an enthusiastic female Anglican vicar wearing a pectoral cross! [no offence meant to any Rev Ms CofE]
However, I found a pretty blue necklace for £2 in the Trussell Trust, and brought it home. I liked the pebble-y nature of the beads, reminiscent of sea glass.Tried it on, and found it was about 6" too short, I'd forgotten quite how wide the slop's neckline was. I experimented with a bit of kitchen string, to find the optimum length, then threaded a length of narrow ribbon through the catch at one end and the chain at the other. 

Because the ribbon is threaded and knotted, I can take it out easily and return the necklace to its original length if I want to wear it with something else. 

Now I can't decide which is the better statement - over the collar and down the front, or draped all round the outside!


9 comments:

  1. Over the collar and down the front - the other way is a little mayoral ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I see your point. Mayoral is as bad as Vicarish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Wanda. From your friendly Anglican Ms CofE who abandoned her large cross when she got ordained and knows EXACTLY what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Roman Catholic layperson and someone who has never aspired to any political office whatsoever, I have to agree and endorse the first version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like way number 2! LOoks great!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Kezzie. No.2 for me.I think it might annoy you the other way if it flattens the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely necklace! I vote for No. 1!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting how both versions have a similar number of votes. This frees you to wear it either way knowing that it is attractive both ways.
    Personally I think it has a more pleasing appearance in the second photo. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like number 1. That's a very difficult collar to have a necklace on. I have a jumper a bit the same and I just do statement earrings

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!