Wednesday 22 November 2017

Ice, Ice, Baby!

I cannot believe that it's nine years since I went with Liz to the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland . I was interested to read a few days ago about this years WW, and the Ice Sculptures there. It is an amazing craft - these people produce stunning works of art, in subzero temperatures, which will last for a few weeks- and then it all melts away ....
Watch this brief video about the London Display
And another, by the same company, which is currently on display up in Edinburgh.
I have the greatest admiration for these craftspeople [their company, Hamilton, is based in Wimbledon - check out their website for examples of their other work] 
It seems sad that their work can only be enjoyed for a short time, when you consider the hours put into the creation. I suppose it's the same for people who ice wedding cakes, or arrange flower festivals.
Image result for ikea ice cube fishImage result for ikea ice cube fish
The nearest I get to ice sculpture is my IKEA fish ice tray!!

4 comments:

  1. It looks so strange to see a person emerging from a block of ice. Amazing craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dare I confess? I use the IKEA doodah for chocolate fishes-oops! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. And in what blue sea do they swim, pray tell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ice sculptures- so clever!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!