Saturday 4 June 2022

Lettuce Celebrate!

I returned from the weekend with a box of plants from my lovely SIL, and a load more gardening wisdom from various family members [thank you all]
Once the bunting and scarecrows were sorted, I settled down to some gardening.
I am loving the fact that having a raised bed means I can go and cut just enough fresh salad leaves for that day's lunch, and the rest go on growing. 

I have just harvested a few new potatoes- these will be so delicious simply cooked, and served with butter...
Currently in the raised bed I have the following crops
1&2 - Potatoes
3&4 - Broad beans
5 - the end of the lettuce crop
6 - swiss chard
7A - beetroot [just sown]
7B- carrots [peeping through]
8&9 - runner bean tipi and dwarf French beans
10 - 1 row of radishes [not yet ready to eat] and a celeriac in the corner
Plus a row of marigolds at the end of the bed - because they were reduced to 25p in Wilko and I liked the look of them!
I have been keeping a careful note of my harvest - and my costs.
From end of April through to end of May, I had approx 550g radishes, 450g lettuce, and 450g spinach. To buy organic produce like this would cost considerably more than what I paid for the seeds. I think it works out at about a third of the shop price.
So that makes me happy and healthy. 
Denise has given me some sweet peppers and aubergines. She says that aubergines are easier to grow than marigolds. I hope this is true!



 

19 comments:

  1. Aren't those first new potatoes wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it hard to eat them without smiling!

      Delete
  2. What a great harvest! My home grown produce isn't as cheap as the store bought stuff because of the rates I pay for water for them, but, I do enjoy growing my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have rainwater collection systems like we do?

      Delete
    2. There has to be rain to collect rainwater! The last time it rained where I live was towards the end of April. The measured amount of rain for the month of April was 0.27 inches. The measured amount of rain for the month of May was 0.01 inches! We are now headed into our dry season and don't expect any measurable rain until October.

      Delete
    3. Oh Bless! I cannot imagine living anywhere as dry as that. This is June - our summer, and we have just been checking tomorrow's weather forecast. 99% chance of heavy rain (which is rotten for everyone who is planning a Jubilee Picnic)

      Delete
  3. I always mean to keep tabs on what I sow and then eat ... but every single year I forget. I do know Alan keeps going past the window clutching handfuls of lettuce leaves ... he seems very fond of the Mizuna this year.

    There's something very special about having your own crops right outside the door isn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that's brilliant! Your bed looks super!
    Don't forget you can save seeds from some of your crops like beans to sow next year.
    I've eaten so much rocket this year which is perennial. I planted seeds in 2020 and it's increased in the 2 subsequent years. I hope it continues to last! Rocket is quite expensive for what you get and is virtually ALWAYS in plastic! We are driving back from Northumberland and I am anxious about my crops after a week without water or slug removal .
    Mum dug up a couple of Marigolds for me last week which I planted in my raised bed. They are good companion plants in veg beds so you were v clever to plant them in your bed.
    KEzzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will save some beans as you suggest. I hope you had a good time with the family up north!!

      Delete
  5. In our garden, we ow lettuce seeds every two weeks so have a continual harvest fir sandiches and salads.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing tastes better than freshly harvested food from your own garden. Now, if I could only keep the squirrels away from enjoying it, too.
    ~skye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen any squirrels fortunately

      Delete
  7. Pretty good returns so far and we are only just into June.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your raised bed is doing really well! I am hoping that the next door neighbour will be selling plants again this year at the roadside. I never seem to be in the mood to look for plants when I go to the town. Our big food success is the rhubarb, which I am harvesting regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhubarb is great - I love it in a pie or a crumble. Roadside plant sales are often really good value

      Delete
  9. You have taken to this new hobby like a duck to water and I am really glad for you. Yet again a win/win since you enjoy it and get wonderful fresh edibles as a result!

    ReplyDelete
  10. seriously impressed. I love the idea of cut and come again salad. I hope the aubergines work out.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!