Friday 16 September 2022

Bring Up The Bodies

No, not part 2 of Mantel's Tudor Thomas Cromwell Trilogy [which I greatly enjoyed] I wish to make a comment about clothing. In Tudor times, women often wore a garment made of two attached pieces of fabric, covering the chest and the back, known as 'a pair of bodies' and subsequently this term was contracted to bodies whi ch became our word bodice. Move on 500 years, and Wonderwoman* & Co graced our screens
 Their all-in-one leotard/swimsuit garment was referred to as a body. By the late 1980s these were everywhere as a fashion garment - a tee-shirt or vest type top which fastened at the crotch with poppers, buttons or Velcro. The idea was that the top stayed tucked in to the waistband, and gave a smooth line under jeans or slim fitting skirts.
We all had them - M&S sold them, so they were quite respectable!
Obviously we didn't wear them without a skirt or trousers on our lower regions. They were initially very popular. And now I understand they are the must-have garment for Autumn/Winter 22. Strolling round the Trafford Centre with Steph, I noticed a number of shops selling bodysuits as we are now meant to call them. Primark, Next, Matalan, M&S and more have racks of them. 
My girls have often said to me "if you wore a fashion first time round, think hard before you wear it again". They have a point. Last time I discovered that although you may get a smooth line and good fit at first, beware when you wash a body. Either it will stretch, and you'll have wrinkling, baggy surplus fabric, or it will shrink, and the discomfort of the row of poppers pulling hard, attempting to bisect your torso will cause inelegant squirming. 
Worst of all - you may return from the loo having failed to "tuck and pop" in everything closed, and although you look fine at the front, you will have a "tail" flapping behind. And once you realise this you will be covered in embarrassment. 

Look again, Ang! I for one will not be rushing to buy another body. In the mid 1990s I took the ones I did have, and cut off the flaps and poppers, turning them into regular tee shirts. 
*I shall never forget the 11 year old pupil, back in the 1970s who announced to the class that in his family they did not watch Wonderwoman "because my Dad says you can never trust a girl who tucks her vest into her knickers" Maybe he had a point... 



20 comments:

  1. Oh yes! Bodysuits were horrible things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We called them bodysuits in Essex in the 90's. I didn't like the feeling of my 90's one but you know I like my recent one bought for a cosplay. That said, it IS a size larger than I need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that getting the right size is important - length as well as breadth!

      Delete
  3. Well that final sentence made me spray coffee onto the ipad screen! I too wore bodies in their time including polo necked ones which were great for cold classrooms. We had our Older People’s Champion talking at a meeting yesterday and her younger grandaughter told her she was perfect for the job-“ your’e old and you talk a lot granny”, was the validation. Happy weekend.Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your screen has recovered, Catriona. Have a good weekend

      Delete
  4. I can't think of anything to contribute here, except to say it underlines the importance of experiential learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they were called bodyshirts over here, if I am not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly despised the bodysuit and did nothing for your figure if you were top heavy! I won't be reliving my past anytime soon! Have a good September weekend, Ang. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a little girl i wore what was called a 'Liberty bodice', and I think it had buttons to attach knickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These garments were made in Leicestershire for Liberty's of London. There was no"liberty" involved, they were really quite constricting imho.

      Delete
  8. I remember them as a huge bother in the loo and didn't wear them very long.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never bothered with 'bodys' as I thought the bathroom would be too complicated. And now I am looking at Wonderwoman in a whole new light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Decades ago I owned one with a matching pair of tights, supposed to be a leotard arrangement for exercise but I don't remember doing exercise for long! I did once wear it with a skirt and blue wig and facepaint , some kind of day/night Hallowe'en party costume. The only other time I dressed up it was in a different costume as Minnie Mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've ever owned a "proper" leotard. But I do have some fun dressing up wigs which I'm keeping for the grandchildren to enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!