Monday, 17 August 2026

Green Pizza, Red Alert

On Friday evening, we went over to Heydon near Reepham, for "Friday Night Pizza On The Green". Fortunately Jon ordered beforehand, as when we arrived, a sign said "Pizzas sold out" . Clearly it is a popular event. We sat facing the church - below is an older photo - when we were there, there were literally dozens of people sitting around enjoying their food. Family groups, cyclists...Liz took me over to "Folks"at the corner of the green to collect our order. They are open 8-2 Saturday and Sunday for coffee and cakes.


The pizzas were really tasty. Bob and I were grateful we had taken our folding chairs, though! The girls enjoyed ice cream, for dessert.
Then suddenly, there was an alarming noise, as everyone's phones went off with the national wildfire alert. It was quite a surreal moment. We all looked around and smiled nervously at one another.
Complete strangers bound together by one message
Rosie was concerned it meant we were at imminent risk of a nearby fire. We assured her that was not the case. I suppose her only experience of fire alarms would be practices at school, where they have to get up and evacuate the classroom immediately. 
Personally I feel it was a good idea, it certainly alerted us to the importance of keeping safe. But I do appreciate that for others it was upsetting. I note that in Wales there was a bilingual alert [in Welsh first, then English]
My neighbour he was quite frightened by it. I can imagine those living alone might have been alarmed more than alerted. 
Should I pack a Go-Bag? I asked Bob. He didn't think we needed that - but I notice he is starting to updating the household inventory in case of any insurance claims! [yes, I know one should do that every year, but we haven't!

Thinking of all those people who have really suffered with the damage caused by wildfires. Keep safe everybody!



8 comments:

  1. It was very unsettling, especially i like ne you got flustered and touched 'ok' and the screen cleared before you read the message!
    I saw that the domestic violence support charities were concerned for people who kept a secret phone, though, as without prior publicity they might not have time to check their phones were safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have certainly been mixed reactions. I am sure that those responsible for providing the system are going to learn from this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember there being a fire alert before, but I reckon that if the firefighters thought it necessary it was important. Maybe things will cool and maybe even dampen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly cooler and overcast here today

      Delete
  4. Overall I think the alert was a good idea but I agree people living on their own might find it alarming, we at first thought what on earth was happening, four minute warning and all that. I hope as you say that those responsible learn from the process. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I was very upset by it. I had gone to bed early at 8.30pm and five minutes after getting into bed it happened. It was horrible. I am one of those who lives alone. I recovered and then exactly 1 hour later it happened again. Very scary and I wrote about it on my blog before going to sleep. That made me feel better to share! Thank you for writing about it. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you went through that experience on your own - sharing it on the blog was a good idea

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!