Thursday, 13 August 2026

Merci Beaucoup!

A parcel has arrived at Cornerstones - unexpected and unidentified. Correct address on the box, but no return address. How intriguing... And inside...

Carefully wrapped in some useful sheets of woollen felt, and a length of red and white cotton, with a cheerful goose and flowers print, there is a charming little jug.
It is stoneware, about 15cm high, and was made in France. And it is decorated with three illustrations from the Bayeux Tapestry. I love it! I checked out the illustrations carefully

The top is from the early part of the story, Scene 8, where Harold is brought to Beaurain  by Guy, Count of Ponthieu [Guy = Wido in Latin]
The centre section is the French fleet arriving at Pevensey Bay, Scene 38. The lower portion is the end of the battle, the English defeated Scene 56
Harold is "on 'is 'orse, with 'is 'awk on 'is 'and" as Marriott Edgar wrote.
The jug keeps to the range of half a dozen colours - red, gold, green, blue, brown. black
This is so utterly gorgeous, and I am truly grateful to the kind friend who has sent me this surprise gift. You know how much I shall treasure it! [and also enjoy using the fabric which kept it wrapped safely in transit]
 Thank you so much  Je suis vraiment reconnaissant


No comments:

Post a Comment

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!