I had a couple of squares 'in hand', then knitted two more, so decided to send one of each to Kirsten. She sent me two [by mistake!] 
Top row block #73 – Two Edges
What a boring name! Basically, the finished square has two
adjoining edges which include two contrasting stripes , and two edges which
don’t. The square is knitting in a ‘L’
shape – starting with 61 sts all in knit stitch, On every other row, 2 stitches
are decreased [one each side of centre , using sl1, k2tog, psso] This creates a
diagonal line. The centre stitch on row 1 is the corner between the stripe
edges. The final single stitch when all is decreased is the opposite corner. It
is the same as K’s “Allsorts” 6 weeks ago. I had a random heathery yarn for the
main part, and picked a lilac grey shade and pastel pink for my contrast
stripes. On reflection, I think I should have used a much stronger contrast
colour for the single row stripe!
Middle Row block #78 – Lattice
Grey/blue yarn left over from a jumper knitting for grandson
George when he was much younger! The pattern was easy, simple knit
and purl, stocking stitch and garter stitch. Both squares are the same. I like the way that the finished piece looks like a woven lattice. And no slipping, no cables, and no random dye yarns!! Proving you can create texture with the
easiest of patterns.
Bottom Row Block #54 – Pink Flash
This was a nice, straightforward 4 row repeat, which K knitted originally in purple with turquoise flashes, and then in turquoise with
green flashes. She says "The colours remind me of the 1960s, when all kinds of clashing colours suddenly looked fabulous together. Those of us lucky enough to have the new, brightly coloured felt tip pens would infuriate our teachers by underlining dates and titles in our school books three times, in pink and purple, orange and green, etc. I’ve still got my old log tables book from maths lessons, covered in psychedelic paper and stickers. They are no use to me now; it’s just a piece of pure nostalgia." It soon became very clear to her which square she would send me; she was close to binding off when she spotted a mistake about 16 rows back.
There were three options; rip out the rows and re-knit? Drop the stitch down to
the error and then hook it back up – but – colour work? Or decide it would pass
the galloping horse test* and send the other one? It’s hot. Kirsten says she chose option 3! [In fact it was SO hot, she sent both in error]
*Galloping horse test: would you spot the mistake from a galloping horse? If yes, then Something Has To Be Done About It. If not, then carry on and forget it.
There was a wonderful 'flat gift' in her parcel, which I will reveal tomorrow...thanks K [and I'm keeping the purple square]


I know that one as "A blind man on a galloping horse would be glad to see it" and say it often.
ReplyDeleteYou have reminded me of my Mum's phrase " a blind man would be glad to see it "
DeleteYou have chosen the square I intended togive you! I don't know if you spotted the mistake; I slipped a green stitch instead of knitting it in the greeny square.
ReplyDeleteI never spotted it! 👀
DeleteMy foster Mum used "a blind man would be pleased to see it" all the time, especially with regard to badly cleaned windows! The knitted squares are great, you ladies are ingenious. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteOh! my windows are so bad at the moment!
Delete“It would never be seen by a man on a galloping horse” is a phrase still used in our house-if errors are made! Lovely squares and my favourite is the self coloured one using the stitches for texture. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI like that one too
Delete