Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Thank You, Bob

Today is our 47th Wedding Anniversary. Six years ago I quoted Anne Bradstreet's Poem to her 'Dear and loving husband'  It is a favourite of mine. I was going to use it again - but that would be its fourth appearance in 18 years. Is that too much? 


Instead I am reproducing the two "poems on the underground" which hang opposite the dining table. The first a gift from Bob to me, the second is one which I gave him. 

CLOSE CLOSE ALL NIGHT
Close close all night the lovers keep.
They turn together in their sleep,
close as two papers in a book
that read each other in the dark.
Each knows all the other knows
learnt by heart from head to toes.

[by Elisabeth Bishop]

OUR MEETINGS
As in the underground there's no mistaking
the train's approach - it pushes air ahead,
whirls paper, the lines singing - a sort of dread
suffusing longing and my platform shaking
so it is before every meeting
till you arrive - hear how my heart is beating.

[by Andrew Waterman]

I am so grateful to God for this lovely bloke who brings such love, life and laughter to every day

12 comments:

  1. A long and happy marriage is a real treasure and blessings... happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the poems are all wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you both. Hope you have a lovely day. God Bless xxxx
    Pauline W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your very special day xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just off to Norwich for an Anniversary Lunch ๐Ÿ’š

      Delete
  5. Very best wishes to you both on your Anniversary. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary to you both. The poems you gave to each other are so beautiful. Enjoy your lunch. God bless Sue H

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!