Wendy has just had knee surgery and Bob did not want to do too much walking. So Friday was relaxing around the pool. I haven't really swum for years - but on the Friday I did thirty lengths! Each day we spent some time reading, relaxing and swimming, and some time going out, sightseeing, shopping and eating. It was a good pattern and we enjoyed the sunshine, and the freedom to just chill out.
Saturday evening we went on a lovely sunset boat trip from Paphos Harbour. Not on the Jolly Roger, but on the Wave Dancer [a former car ferry]
We sailed out as the sunset, then further along the coast, they anchored so people could swim - entering the water off the back of the ramp. I actually went into the Med and splashed around for a while. Then they served a BBQ on board followed by a fascinating acrobatic display. As the boat returned to Paphos Harbour I stood and watched the twinkling lights. So much beauty, so much history. The Apostle Paul came to this harbour too. I felt so privileged to be there.
Sunday we went with Peter and Wendy to their Church and were made very welcome. Afterwards we had coffee and visited a beautiful bakery - the selection of breads, pastries and cakes was quite overwhelming.
Monday was a shopping day, we visited the Market to buy some gifts for the Grandchildren- after four days of swimming in the pool, I wanted to buy a new costume to celebrate. Wendy is a good friend and helpful fashion adviser!
Tuesday we visited Akamas - a cape which includes the blue Lagoon, an National Park, and stunning views. At the top of the hill is Viklari "Last Castle" restaurant, P&W's favourite eating place. We watched the quad bikes racing up the hill
It is tradition to have your photo taken under the arch!
Wednesday P&W had a meeting at their Church, so Bob and I visited the nearby Museum and Roman Mosaics - a UNESCO World Heritage site. These mosaics were mind blowing! I was particularly taken with the "Christian House from the 5th Century AD" A large mosaic, regular pattern- but in the doorway a mosaic plaque with Psalm 117 verse 6 in Greek. The sign board informed us they'd made a spelling mistake! [The Lord is my helper, I will not fear what man will do to me] In one of the new buildings was a huge display about Crafts in Cyprus - I was in seventh heaven looking at all the boards about different lacemaking/weaving/etc. That will have to be another post! It was very hot - I have great admiration for the Apostle Paul - I would struggle to preach in that heat!!
Thursday - our final day. To have coffee at La Plage Municipal Beach at Polis, followed by lunch at Santa Barbara. That turtle sculpture on the beach is a recycling bin for plastic bottles! We both swam in the sea, walked round the marina, and had a beautiful final day with our friends. We came back via the Mall and Bob went in a DIY superstore, whilst Wendy took me to another of her favourite clothes stores.
After getting back to their bungalow, finishing packing, and eating baklava we loaded the cases into the car. These two good friends took us to the airport. Final goodbye hugs and a prayer for a safe journey.Their hospitality was wonderful, and their friendship is very precious. I am so grateful to them for giving us the relaxing, reviving holiday we both needed. I hope I can return to their beautiful island again one day,
[Despite the fact that I swam over 200 lengths, there is no photograph of me in Wendy's pool!! And I forgot to take a picture of Jethro and Molly, their two cheerful dogs, sorry!











What a week! The sea and sky sooo blue! Such a lot of beautiful memories to hold on to through the winter. 🌞
ReplyDeleteA Holiday I shall never forget
Delete