This is Falkland Park, South Norwood. From 1923 till 2025 it was the home of Spurgeon's College - the training establishment established by Charles Haddon Spurgeon in 1856.
Its closure last year was very sudden and very sad. But hundreds of us joined on Thursday to mark the significance of this place in our lives. From 1981 - 1986, Bob was a Spurgeon's Student - the first year on a college placement as a Student Minister in Gillingham, Kent, then 4 years of fulltime study in this lovely building.
Our daughters were born during that time [82 and 86] Initially I worked as Warden in an OAP Scheme just down the road, then we moved to Orpington and became a full time Mum. For some time I worked as a volunteer helping with the college book-keeping, and student spouses were allowed to attend evening classes with paying fees. I did courses in counselling and church history!
Thursday's event was one described as "Remembering, Lament, Thanksgiving and Hope" Despite the sadness and great sense of loss there was gratitude for the legacy, for all those men and women trained there, and a sense of hope because God continues to call people into serving him in ministry and there are still ways in which they can be trained and encouraged.
It was a bittersweet day, but there was a real sense of God's faithfulness down the years and the certainty that he will lead us in the days ahead. We began the service with Wesley's hymn "O for a thousand tongues to sing my Great Redeemers Praise" [sung at our wedding] and also joined with confidence in a hymn of faith and trust
I love You Lord
Oh Your mercy never fails me
All my days I’ve been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
I will sing of the goodness of God
All my life You have been faithful
All my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
I will sing of the goodness of God
I love Your voice
You have led me through the fire
In darkest nights you are close like no other
I’ve known You as a father
I’ve known You as a friend
I have lived in the goodness of God
[Bethel Music/Jenn Johnson]

A special place, a special time...
ReplyDeleteVery special 💙
ReplyDelete