Tuesday, 6 October 2026

A New Word - For A Familiar Old Habit

Kirsten rang me yesterday morning to discuss our double-knitting project. "Is this a good time?" I apologised that it would have to be a very brief call as I was in the middle of a workshop at my craft group. [I must admit, it made  a pleasant diversion from the intensive activity inside the village hall, to nip out into the sunshine and chat to a friend] We exchanged info about our current squares.

"Please don't feel you have to get these done it you are snowed under" she said. I assured her that the current pattern has been so delightful and easy to memorise, so I have actually done four squares not two this month.
Currently I have to admit, I have more than usual on my plate . Partly my own fault for not saying No, and partly because I enjoyed my 4 days away in London. 

But knitting, and sewing, are activities which soothe and calm me. Other tasks can wait a day or two...


22 comments:

  1. I love the word “procrastiknitting”. It’s a concept that can be applied to so many distraction activities. I shall put my thinking cap on……xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter what the task is... knitting, writing, sending an email, even making a cup of tea, I will always procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find knitting makes me more tense but I am not a good knitter. I am glad you can find solace in knitting. I learned to say "no" a few years ago after I had been doing way too much and was hardly ever home other than to collapse in a heap. Then I got pneumonia and had to stop doing so much. Look after yourself. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes this is familiar to me too , and yes, soothing and calming……..often like meditation or prayer.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Procrastiknitting is a brilliant word ... although my Spellcheck doesn't think so. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read it as procras tik nitting

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to see yours and Kirsty's next project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like "procrastiknitting". I can add, "procrastireading", "procrastisurfing" and "procrastiputtering" (my favourite escape) to the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my opinion, anything creative which soothes and calms you is well worth taking the time to do!
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know how much I needed this definition. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!