Friday, 9 October 2026

Location, Location, Location

Location One; Central London - Liz lives in Southwark, and for a long time worked in Bloomsbury. These two areas often appear in TV shows, 

and I was forever checking the background in thrillers like "Spooks" and "Trigger Point" in case I spotted her cycling past. 

Location Two: Manchester - Since Steph moved there, I've watched Cold Feet and various Harlan Coben thrillers, filmed around the area, and a number in central Manchester near her 

And Gary Oldman as Churchill in "Darkest Hour" has some scenes shot in the John Rylands Library just up the street from Steph's company offices in Deansgate.  And that brings me to

Location Three: Romford. Where I was born, and where Julian lives- and he works in Primark. This week's Slow Horses featured the Primark Loading Bay 
behind the Liberty Shopping Centre. Signs were put up to make it look like the back of a bowling alley. Filming was all done months ago, and I have been waiting to see this for ages. I really enjoy SH, and I think Gary Oldman's portrayal of Jackson Lamb is amazing.

I really enjoy seeing places I know and have visited on TV - even if they are car parks, housing estates, and loading bays. Especially when they have connections with the important people in my life. 
On the subject of Slow Horses - does anyone else think that Jack Louden [who plays River Cartwright] would make an excellent James Bond??


25 comments:

  1. In the 1959 film version of Look Back Anger with Richard Burton, some scenes were shot in Romford market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten that! My Dad had a Saturday job on the market in the 1930s when he was a teenager

      Delete
  2. I don't think anywhere I've lived has ever been in a TV programme! Apart from one tv comedy sketch when I was quite young - I wish I could remember whose - where an ancient butler bought a block of ice from our local fish monger, punted it with his foot all the way along the high street and eventually arrived at the mansion, by which time it had melted to an ice cube which he dropped into his master's drink...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's AE Matthews from Laughter in Paradise but I cant locate the clip

      Delete
  3. Ah, I wondered where J worked after Wilko closed (or was it just Gill that worked for them?)
    It's funny seeing locations you know. My music camp featured in Midsomer murders once and I realised Doctor Who had a segment on Southend pier once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Gill Was at Wilko, Julian's at Primark. Jamie Oliver AND Dr Who on Southend Pier!!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to have places you know because your loved ones live or work there appear in films and TV programs. The building I used to work in has appeared in many movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that a lot of films are made in your corner of the USA πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ Bless

      Delete
    2. My son lives in Paris and whenever it appears on the news-like recently with all the riots-I always look in the background to see him! Never have yet.

      Delete
  5. We have.Batman movies filmed in Glasgow and even some scenes in our council offices in Hamilton-a 15 storey listed tower edifice based on the United Nations building in.New York.
    Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ™️ amazing , Scottish Skyscrapers in New York

      Delete
  6. Gosford House was recently featured in the newest Frankenstein film. Very near me and just recently organised an outing there with my sewing group. Also great memories of picnics there in the fabulous grounds with grandchildren. Of course, anything with Edinburgh in it is always special to see (except Trainspotting which I could never watch!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ps yes of course Jack should be considered as James Bond! So frustrating that Slow Horses is not streaming!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is lovely to see places that you have lived or visited on television isn't it, and we frequently shout at the tv ''we've been there". Our best lived in location was used frequently in the earlier Midsomer Murder episodes, we recognised so many places, used in many different ways. Our usual car boot sale venue was a village green and cricket pitch surrounded by all very individual cottages and barns, and a pub called The Six Bells, that featured so often we used to laugh at the ingenuity of the filming. I used to work in offices in Deansgate too, way back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed you have lived so long, if you were in Midsomer! Their death-by-murder rate is pretty high

      Delete
  9. Lovely. I spent a lot of my childhood in and around Oxford, Morse never fails to bring back memories.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, it is neat to see places where you recognise and can relate too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying some Canadian programmes recently - it is a beautiful country

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed seeing familiar parts of York in Patience, but there were some areas that didn't look familiar at all. The mystery was solved when I read that some of it was filmed in Belgium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish they wouldn't do that. Lots of the Dalgleish stuff set in Norfolk is filmed in Ireland

      Delete
  12. Stafford where I used to live has been used for the new series about the Cadbury family which will be shown in 2027 on U. Jack Louden would make a fabulous Bond. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to the Cadbury story. I do hope that JL gets the Bond job !

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!