Monday, 5 October 2026

Read All About It!

 A brief report on the trip to the Museum last week. I was glad we got there early - the hi-viz guy at the gate encouraged us to get in the line straightaway. There was efficient management of the queue, quite a lot of walking involved from where you go in to the exhibition to the point where you encounter the tapestry. By that point you are all [in theory] shuffling along at the correct pace. Here are just some of the panels which I particularly wanted to see,

Panel 1 - Edward the Confessor. Famed for his milky white skin, and long, almost translucent fingers. His 'striped' stockings. I am inclined to agree with Mia H. - these only have the papearance of stripes becaus eof the way the couching has been stitched! Also the various pairs of animals in the borders. Moving on to Panel 4, four of Aesops Fables 

The Fox and the Cheese [flattery]
The Wolf and the Lamb [false accusations]
The Pregnant Bitch [Don't give away your possessions too easily]
The Wolf and the Crane [don't fight a predator]
These are in the lower border, and mirror the historical events depicted in the panel above them.
There was insufficient time to study panel 8 and look for the "cigar burn", allegedly done by a Nazi in WW2
Panels 17 & 18 show Harold's bravery when men were in the quicksands, pulling soldiers out of the danger. The border below shows a line of creatures all tagging the one in front..

An eel [out of sight on the left] bites a man, whose foot is in the mouth of a lion- whose tail is in the bird's beak, the birds wing is nipped by a boar , whose tail is tugged be a centaur. A wyvern looks on. I looked at Edward's death
...which was all too rapidly followed by Harold's coronation
There are 15 people named on the tapestry [only one a woman. Huh!] but at the King's left hand stands Archbishop Stigand. Who lived up the road from here. Yes really - prior to becoming archbishop, he was bishop of North Elmham [where our fish and chip shop is] and owned loads of land round central Norfolk. One street in Dereham is actually called "Stigand's Gate"
Obviously I was on the lookout for panel 32, and Halley's Comet - such an omen for them. I love the way they have depicted it!
The remainder of the tapestry I was studying the stitching [it is clear that women worked from both top and bottom of the fabric- so some were stitching upside down. And they didn't always match up very well with their opposite worker - so sometimes the chainmail is round, or diamond shaped, or square...
I mustn't forget to mention the Feast on panel 43, where the Bishop is blessing the food before they eat- lots of detail here. Picture at the bottom of post. Onto Panel 54, where Bishop Odo, believed to be the man behind the whole creation of the tapestry is shown strongly "encouraging" the troops by waving his club/mace at them. Priests were not supposed to shed blood so did not carry swords. Just a Very Big Heavy Stick!!


Panel 55, almost at the end- William lifts his helmet, to show his troops that he is still alive.  Panel 57 is One In The Eye For Harold [or maybe not - will we ever be sure that is him?] and then the whole thing tails off as whatever followed Panel 58 has been torn away. 
It was incredible realising just how old this is, that it was stitched without the aid of decent lighting [or spectacles] These women have done a phenomenal job, and done it so well.
When we came out of the darkened room where the tapestry was, we were immediately in the bright, light Gift Shop [as is always the case with these places!] 
Bob said I really ought to buy the BM Guidebook, as a memento of this visit, and it is indeed very informative and will get its own review here later. 
Apologies if this post is rather long, and picture heavy. Pictures came from Wikimedia, the BBC and the Observer. I can see why the BM has forbidden photography- it would delay everybody.
Bob did take a shot of me in the central area of the Museum by a display panel... just to prove I was there.


36 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely descriptions of the panels you specially wanted to see.
    I'm glad you got in and around with no problems, they were talking about the very long wait on the news yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visiting in the afternoon runs the risk of delays I think (like hospital appointments - if the people at the start take too long, everyone else is late getting in!)

      Delete
  2. Absolutely fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting more excited as my visit approaches. Re getting there early, with a ticket for 1100 are they actually holding people to their times or just letting them in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We arrived at 10 (when BM opens) for a 10.20 slot and were waved in because they wanted to fill.up.the spaces. So I'd be inclined to turn up a bit early if I were you (if you can)

      Delete
  4. What an experience, and you really made the most of it with all your preparation. Thank you very much for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RannedomThoughts5 October 2026 at 08:45

    Quick question, is a magnifying glass allowed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't see anyone using one. You wouldn't be able to spend much time peering at details, they keep everyone shuffling along. But if you were quick ...

      Delete
  6. Amazing. Thank you for showing us. I am so pleased you got to see it. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realise so many people would like to see it, but won't have the opportunity

      Delete
  7. That was really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to see it on Friday. The queueing inside the exhibition was tedious, but the tapestry itself is incredible and well worth the wait. I didn't see the burn mark either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, I'm glad you enjoyed it too

      Delete
  9. Thank you for such an interesting post. I am glad you were able to see the panels on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I made the list, it helped a lot

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful experience and I love the phot of you with the panel display. You were lucky to have such a good journey through the tapestry exhibition as there are many people who didn’t get to see it at all despite having purchased a ticket and travelled far to see it. Common sense has prevailed and apparently the opening hours have been extended and audio tour also available. I was shocked to see that one group of people were turned away due to a private viewing. My moral compass says that those who paid to see it should have seen it and too bad if the private viewing couldn’t go ahead! I’ll look forward to hearing about the book-I bought the one for The Great Tapestry of Scotland after I had visited a few times. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the private viewing thing. It seems really unfair and wrong to me too

      Delete
  11. Such a detailed response and gratefully received. I did see the tapestry in Bayeaux itself about twenty years ago now. It really is a glorious piece of work. Such detail and skill. Carole R

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad that you got to see it, you look so happy in that photo. It's a once in a lifetime chance really isn't it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , once in a lifetime. I'm still bubbling with excitement!!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for this, I won’t be going so it’s lovely to get a really good description of it.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it would be a neat thing to see in person, once in your lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy your early preparation to see the tapestry paid off.
    Read in The Guardian that Mary Beard (museum trustee) walked the lines and talked to people then offered some advice on tweaking the lines. Had to smile when she said "more benches for old ladies" like her. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were plenty of benches if old people did need to stop and sit. We both just shuffled along purposefully [like Bob and me, Mary B was born in 1955]

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing glimpses of this wonderful work of needlecraft. You did well to list what you wanted to focus on, with so little time and so much to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled it all worked so well - sad for those people who have been disappointed by their visit

      Delete
  17. Thank you for your excellent description. I feel especially lucky to have seen it but I loved reading your post. I think you got more out of it because of your personal skills in stitchery. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Jan - because I sew, I think I was able to have a greater appreciation of the work involved - and admiration for those diligent women who produced it.

      Delete
  18. I have seen the tapestry in France and it was amazing. Glad you enjoyed your visit so much. An article in today's Daily Mail says they are having to extend opening times, have an audio guide and some ticket holders were turned away as a gala dinner was being held for Princess Anne and the Chancellor, not very fair. Plus it was a lot cheaper to view in Bayeaux. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. But a return trip from my home to Bayeux would probably cost well in excess of £300, which far outweighs the cost of a trip to London - so the increase in entrance fee is a very small factor in the total expense.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!