Wednesday 2 January 2019

Blessed With A Word

I've been pondering on my Blog word for this new year - in 2017 my #word365 was hope and last year it was more. My inspiration has come from my Buddhist friend Bless, who shared a word in one of her Advent posts. She talked about the Sanskrit word sraddha, meaning acts done with sincerity and faith, as she puts it "with intention, purpose and focus" 
I'm not using her word - but it directed my thoughts towards focus. [Thanks for the inspiration  Bless] 
I looked up the origins... 
The ancient Latin word focus meant domestic hearth. In the 17th Century, scientists used the word to meant the point where rays of light shone through a lens converge. Because sunlight focused through a lens can generate enough heat to ignite paper, fireplace is a good metaphor.
Nowadays we use the word focus in many different ways

  • The centre of our attention
  • The quality of having, or producing clear visual definition [optical term] 
  • A fixed point which helps define the relationship between others [that's a mathematical term, eg for drawing a parabola]
This year I'm aiming to be more focused. These 3 definitions of focus help... 
I know I'm always busy, that's how I am - but Bob is right when he says that sometimes my incessant multi-tasking makes me less productive. Filling the dining room with fabrics and sewing machines to start making costumes is fine - but maybe I should have put away the best china first [instead of leaving it stacked on the sideboard] Sitting at my desk to plan a lesson is important - but I really should not put my books on top of papers waiting to be filed. Focus on finishing off one task before starting the next, because those 5 minutes spent putting things away may prevent 20minutes frantic searching for something I've mislaid. I need to think about what should be the 'centre of my attention " at any given moment. 
I'm getting better at photography but still get many images out of focus because I'm too eager to take the picture. I need to stop and look at the subject before taking the picture. Generally I need to slow down a little to achieve clearer results, in life, not just in my camera technique.
And as a mathematician, I know the importance of the fixed point - as a Christian, my focus as I enter the new year must be Jesus. Hebrews 12;2 talks about "focusing on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith" and it reminds me to "run with patience the race set before me". In this fast changing, stressful world, He is my fixed point. 


11 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. Years ago I went to a "Time Management" workshop and the facilitator started by saying, "Time management is nonsense. You cannot manage time. What you can manage is your focus."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting perspective. Happy New Year!

      Delete
    2. Never thought about it that way but makes complete sense

      Delete
  2. Angela, I am delighted to have contributed to helping you find your word for the year! Focus is an excellent word! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless - I look forward to another year of reading your thought provoking posts

      Delete
  3. Happy Newq Year Angela. It would seem that you are a kindred spirit to me in the way that you work. I drive OH up the wall a little too. Focus is where I need to be too. Pure intent I always stick close to but I love the traditional meaning. Thank you for that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You too are a busy crafter/cook/recycler - we do have much in common. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Angela! May the Lord shower you with blessings! Thank you for your post. Indeed Jesus should always be our focus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My word for 2019 is "Contentment" - I need to be more content with the here and now and not always be thinking 10 steps ahead.
    I actually think this ties in with "focus" as I too tend to multi-task and get a bit carried away with doing too much at once.
    Happy New Year to you and your family and thank you for all the wonderful posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Focus - good advice for everyone - a bit like mindfulness. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very good word for the year! I am very similar,it seems, to you in terms of how I approach things!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!