Monday 28 November 2022

A Profitable Pop Up Shop

I went to bed on Thursday with all my stock boxed up and on the sofa. Then Friday morning we set up shop.
It was not the warmest of days although the sun was bright and the weather dry. Our first visitor was a neighbour who had just gone through the alley to the bus stop and noticed that our sign was pointing in the wrong direction - he'd kindly walked back to the Close to tell us!
I had three tables - the first was covered with sewing bits, and an explanation about our crafts - plus a vintage sewing machine [partly 'window dressing ' but also I'm trying to sell it for a friend] Next table all the items at assorted prices. Finally a large table where everything was £3.50 or mix&match "three for a tenner"
I had made around 200 items as follows
Handwarmers, apple chutney, mini sweaters, tissue holders, notebooks, candle holders, pincushions, little pots, wax wraps, pencil rolls, bird brooches, three sizes of bags, and juggling bags. 
I had a slow and steady stream of customers both days, and the average spend was around £5. 
I sold at least one item from every category. What did I learn? 
  • Wax wraps, mini sweaters and juggling bags proved most popular - but although almost every visitor said how beautiful the bird brooches were, I only sold three.
  • Despite multiple layers of clothing, a heater, and frequent deliveries of hot drinks, I was still very cold by the time I packed up.
  • Putting garden chairs out was a good idea, as many people who came on their own sat down for a proper chat. Bob said afterwards that there had been a lot of pastoral work done! 
  • Planning to have a fish and chip supper on Friday, and slocooker curry on Saturday was a good idea, it meant we could sit down and relax, no cooking to organise
  • The carriage house is a good venue - the ramp made it easily accessible for buggies and a wheelchair. One neighbour was talking to Bob about a charity sale he's hoping to do in the new year. We've offered him our space if it will help. 
I have lots of stock left, but I'm pleased with what I achieved, and money earned. I have got a long way towards the cost of new specs. I'm considering to how to deal with the remaining stock - maybe a table at a local Christmas Fair, or perhaps an online outlet...


22 comments:

  1. Well done. Now that the market research is done you’ll be able to target the customer next year. All the best for selling the remainder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really well done Ang and Bob. Great effort put into your shop. A craft fair would be the ideal place to sell your lovely stuff to a bigger audience. Did the sewing machine go? Bargain!Wish I lived closer. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done
    Amazing achievement
    I am sure your readers would
    like an opportunity to buy too
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a steady stream of people stopping by and made at least some sales. I hope you will be able to hold another pop-up shop or sell online to get the rest of the stock sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of Christmas Fairs round here, will try for a table

      Delete
  5. Well done, and yes maybe booking a last-minute stall at a Christmas Fair would be good to sell some of the leftovers. I'd phone around sharpish though, it's almost December!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pop up shop and glad you had good sales. I’m taking some if the items I had left from the Craft Fair to my class tomorrow in the hope of a few more sales. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm debating taking a few leftover items to the Tuesday coffee group

      Delete
  7. It all looks good - great planning, you earned your sit down at the weekend
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad it went well, you have put in a lot of hours work there. I made 6 of the little jumpers for a church fundraiser in Dec. I didn’t make wire hangers but cut some out of gold card, thanks for the pattern. Most primary schools around here charge a tenner for a stall at their Christmas fair. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card hangers are a great idea. I hope your fundraiser goes well

      Delete
  9. Really pleased to hear that your pop up shop went well. It was our village church Christmas market on Saturday, and to say that people are suffering financially they supported us well. As well as our own stalls , we had six visiting craft stalls. I was pleased to buy in tiny surprise gifts to pop in Christmas cards. Hope you get a stall but those garden chairs and the chats would be invaluable. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many people are buying small gifts rather than big expensive things this year

      Delete
  10. You did really well and how thoughtful to put out the chairs for those who might appreciate a chance to get off their feet for a while, and chat of course! I hope you can find an opportunity soon for those who didn't make it to your shop to look over the stock and maybe find those special little gifts they needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have some lovely things there. I'd have bought a bird pin if I could have gone! I hope you can sell somewhere what is left.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!