Saturday 12 November 2022

Greenwashing -And Washing Greens

Like you, I am hoping those people at COP27 make some good resolutions then return home and keep them. But I am also finding it increasingly difficult to be personally consistent about 'Green Living' and things are not helped by companies which engage in greenwashing

I read an ad, and the company promises to plant a tree for every item sold, or they tell me that buying their coffee beans will help third world farmers employ more sustainable agricultural methods, or the wrapping on the product is recyclable...But can I believe their claims?
Apparently 73% of consumers say they would change consumption to reduce global impact - so companies say 'we are offsetting our carbon footprint by planting trees'. But scientists tell us  that less than 5% of carbon offsets actually remove CO₂ from the atmosphere -so planting trees is just a tiny part of the solution.
And whilst we are being urged to 'pod' our laundry, and told that these easy-to-use things are covered in "biodegradable plastic" called PVA, it seems that up to 75% of this is entering the environment without  breaking down, as it needs specific conditions to do so. 
We need to read labels really carefully. I think sometimes there has to be a trade-off. Often products from companies which are really ethical and eco-friendly come at a premium price, and I would rather pay a little less for a slightly less 'green' product and then support environmental charities directly. 

Back in the spring, I went with Liz to a BCorp shop. I think the principles behind this system of certification are helpful. This takes a holistic approach, not focusing on a single social or environmental issue. As Kermit the frog said, "It's not easy being green"
...And washing greens? well, I was growing these 'winter lettuces' as Huw's book suggests. Tbh we didn't actually like their taste in salads- they were a bit 'tough, and worthy' said Bob. However, rinsed and gently cooked off in a pan they softened and became wilted greens rather like spinach. A splash of balsamic vinegar or mushroom ketchup enhanced the taste too. I decided that I would precook some and freeze them to eat later. I went out and filled a big plastic bowl, and washed my greens carefully to remove dirt and bugs.





This is when you realise just how much these leave wilt. One huge bowl of leaves reduced to just two small portions!.
I have a few 'regular' lettuce left in the raised bed, and Bob is agitating for me to harvest my leeks soon. He and Rosie emptied one of my tubs of new potatoes at the end of half-term [she insisted on wearing my Summer Gardening Hat!]




13 comments:

  1. The whole thing is a minefield. Take for example, compostable/biodegradable packaging: it's only going to be good IF you can put it in the compost- if you put it in the bin, it will still produce methane gas etc. And same with those compostable single use cups with lids- most of the time, they need to go in industrial composting facility- most of the time, unlike me and other nuts who will doggedly hang onto the said packaging until I can get it to its best next location, the majority just cannot be bothered.
    Riverford organics recently published something on home v industrial composting.
    The green washing thing is annoyinv. Cococola proudly displayed posters on the train declaring some of their bottles are made from recycled material but they are one if the biggest producers of single use plastics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is SO complicated, I completely agree. And we really do need the big multi national companies to properly acknowledge their responsibilities

      Delete
  2. Yes, more than meets the eye to all this green worthiness stuff. It is important but I do get a bit fed up with inconsistency. Recycling seems to vary so much depending on where you live, supermarkets provide some facilities but seem slow on getting rid of unnecessary packaging.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where you live really does make a difference as you say

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Angela, for bringing people’s attention to the, PVA is biodegradable myth. I was involved in the teabag industry, when this idea was first brought forward and was given the specification pack to go over as I have a chemistry degree. I went back to the, then, General Manager and clearly explained that this product is not biodegradable under ‘normal’ landfill conditions, as most of the general public would consider biodegradable to mean. Additionally, it has poorer sealing qualities, which resulted in many complaints about burst teabags. I certainly wouldn’t add these to my compost heap. Thanks again for taking the time to blog, I always look forward to reading your updates, Julie C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. It is interesting to hear your comments about teabags and I appreciate that you took the time to point out that they are not biodegradable under "normal" conditions. I save mine in a bowl and every couple of days rip them open. I empty the leaves into the compost, but put the bags into the regular bin. It takes time, but I know they do not break down in my bin. It is frustrating and time consuming... But what else can we do?

      Delete
    2. I did 125 bags this morning...2 weeks of staff room teabags!

      Delete
    3. It's a disgusting job but I'm glad to do it!

      Delete
    4. Kezzie you are a great role model for your pupils - and I hope your colleagues join you in your positive "green" activities

      Delete
  4. Thank you for continuing to educate us about all the different "eco-friendly" product messages we are receiving from various companies, Angela. It can be so confusing to know what one needs to do to be a good consumer!
    Rosie is such a cute gardening assistant! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is very confusing. And trying to educate the younger generation is important, but not always easy

      Delete
  5. It is very hit and miss when it comes to buying responsibly, isn't it? Reading labels helps a bit. Of course here we need a magnifying glass as everything is in English and French so not much room for each! I did buy some tomatoes in a compostable container and tore it up to add to the compost, but today all I could find was a plastic clamshell for 4, sigh.
    I wouldn't mind trying winter lettuces if I could find them. I love wilted greens, and kale is one favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if winter lettuces go by a different name in Canada. If our clamshell packs have a recycling symbol, we can put the in our recycling bin

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!