Friday 10 November 2023

Heavenly Hair**

So now we are onto Shetland Series 8, with Ashley Jensen replacing the delightful Dougie Henshall. I miss him. We have been having some interesting discussions about this here at Cornerstones [nb we would never be asked to go on that ridiculous Gogglebox programme because nobody else would be able to understand our piffle!] 
Quite apart from the two obvious questions ["Whodunnit?" and "In a place with a population of less than 25K, which is classed as 'UK small town', how come there are so many murders?"] There are two major themes to our debates
My question - why the 'religious' connection? 
I have long been intrigued by the number of clergy who get involved in sleuthing , many listed in this blogpost from 2019. But now I have realised there is a second generation heavenly-minded thing going on. Jimmy Perez was the son of a lay preacher and church elder [played originally by the wonderful Bill Paterson] and now DI Calder is the daughter of a Methodist minister [and her brother is a Rev too] 
So did Ruth's Dad meet Jimmy's dad at Shetland's interchurch events? As Father Ted would say "that would be an ecumenical matter"] Other TV detectives have faithful parents too. Inspector Dalgleish was the son of a Vicar, and Morse's mother was a devout Quaker [they don't have clergy] hence his unusual name. 
Bob's Question - why does Tosh have such wildly unkempt hair?
It is not that she's always outside in high winds, even in the Police Station, her hair is all over the place. I'm prepared to cut her a lot of slack, she is a young Mum working full time. In the great list of things to do before she gets out to the crime scene, maybe finding the Dyson Airwrap is way down her list. I suggested that maybe Vicky McClure's hairstylist from Trigger Point has relocated from Lambeth to the Isles, taking her freeform hairdos with her.
But it clearly bothers my beloved. 
Bob is talking about setting up a crowdfunding scheme for her
#BuyToshABrush

**My Uni Landlady used to say, when she saw a child who was clearly a stranger to brushes and combs "Her hair is like heaven - for there is no parting there"





20 comments:

  1. 'Her hair is like heaven' - that's wonderful.
    The area around Midsomer is similar to Shetland - so many 'cosy' murders in so many small, idyllic villages, though Shetland isn't cosy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there! They need the lovely knitwear to keepwarm

      Delete
  2. The religious angle is intriguing... I'm more interested in the lovely fair Isle knitwear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you follow KDD (Kate Davies Designs) blog? I know that in earlier seasons of Shetland some of her fabulous knitwear was worn by cast members

      Delete
    2. Fair Isle knitting, that's a blast from the past ! I was just talking about ( explaining it)to someone here in on the U.S. West coast. I often see men wearing sleeveless Vee neck jumpers like that in old movies. Was it something to do with or originate with using up odd bits of yarn? JanF

      Delete
    3. I don't know if thriftiness with yarn was part of it. I DO know that in any ONE row of Fair Isle, you can not have more than TWO colours. I love those men's old sleeveless V neck pullovers which were so popular in the first half of the 20th century

      Delete
  3. I don't watch these TV shows, so, I am not qualified to comment on them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fair comment, Bless! Each to their own, as they say

      Delete
  4. Just watching Midsomer! Have also thought that the ‘messy bun’ look has had its day.My daughter has looked back at photos of my hair in the eighties and exclaimed’what were you thinking’ 😹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to having some dreadful perms back then. What were we thinking?

      Delete
  5. I always thought Jersey was a dangerous place to live too! (Bergerac) Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did it get safer after John Nettles moved to Midsomer?

      Delete
  6. I've had a dreadful perm too - not to be repeated! This was fun to read Angela, we've been deciding that Tosh is a very unlikely detective, but I like her character despite that.
    Interesting about the role of the clergy.....even these days when it's decidedly untrendy to go to church there seems to still be a fascination with all things ecclesiastical doesn't there......not a bad thing imho :-)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Tosh too. Re clergy on TV - I think you are right, there is a bizarre fascination. But as I always say, REAL clergy life is much funnier than the Vicar of Dibley ever was

      Delete
  7. Perhaps the clerical angle is aimed at a watching audience who might otherwise not be inclined to watch a program about crime, death, blood/gore as being too "nasty/unappealing" to their sensibilities. Bringing in the clerical connection gives them license to watch for the redeeming church connection. Wow! Talk about arm-chair psychology! I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now that IS an intriguing thought. Don't apologise. And at least Shetland has gifted actors, and a fairly sensible storyline. Which is more than can be said for "The Good Ship Murder"

      Delete
  8. 'Hair like heaven'! Thanks for the chuckle. :)

    As for the many morders on Shetland, the same can be said for Midsomer and we've wondered why anyone would like there.
    Interesting connection to clergy.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to watch Shetland but gave up as I couldn't understand the accents and got tired of subtitles! Isn't a sleeveless jumper called a vest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the UK vest tends to mean an item of underwear. But who knows what words mean anymore? Yes their Scottish accents do get a bit thick sometimes I agree

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!