In the UK around 22 million slices of bread are wasted every day. This statistic horrifies me. Bread is 'the staff of life' - in the Jewish tradition, it is considered sinful to throw away bread. I often have an odd crust leftover - not enough to make a sandwich - so I will put it into the freezer in a bag. Last week I defrosted the freezer. 
I had a bag full - so I ripped up the crusts and dropped them in the air fryer. 35 minutes at 130°, then left them to cool. Blitzed them in the food processor, and now they are back in the freezer ready to be used in cooking. So quick and easy. And Zero-Waste.
Monday, 27 July 2026
Oh Crumbs!
Thirty years ago, I would have dried them overnight in the oven [after cooking something else at a higher temperature]. And then put them in a large plastic bag and smashed them up with a rolling pin. Now I let the gadgets do the work, using the electricity from the solar panels.
What's your favourite way of using dried bread crumbs?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Mixed with Parmesan on top of a pasta bake, mixed with some oil from a tin of anchovies and sprinkled on a robust salad (not lettuce). Treacle tart!
ReplyDeleteI can never understand throwing away bread.
Jill
I like the anchovy-oil tip. Thank you
DeleteI' currently saving breadcrumbs to make my Christmas puds. I'm making around 18-20 this year so I need a lot of crumbs. Puds make an acceptable Christmas present and I get piccalilli, mince pies, sausage rolls in return so my breadcrumbs are definitely not wasted!
ReplyDeleteThey sound delicious
DeleteI do the same as you and then sprinkle on to veg, macaroni cheese. Sometimes I make wonky croutons for soup-light oil spray and into the airfyer. Catriona
ReplyDeleteNot made croutons in air fryer (but I will now!)
DeleteThanks Ang, I never thought of putting them back in the freezer after blitzing. I always put them in a jam jar in the cupboard and then don’t use all of it for ages and have to bin them.
ReplyDeleteYes. I have made that mistake too!
DeleteI make croutons in the oven (when cooking something else) from left over or hard bread!
ReplyDeleteLong live croutons?!
Delete