Thursday 12 December 2013

Pretty In Pink

One of my work colleagues is taking her young grand-daughter to the Panto. “I wish I could go dressed as a princess” said the child [who is 6 years old, but tall for her age] My friend was not impressed with either the quality, sizing or price of what was on offer in the shops. Could I help to provide a pink princess dress, please?

IMG_1210 - CopyThis project has been such a joy to produce.

I used the pattern in last month’s Prima magazine as a starting point [plus one of the young lady’s dresses, which I borrowed as a size reference]and added sleeves and an overskirt. The bodice is two layers-- lined with the same pale pink fabric, and there is a punk tulle underskirt. The sheer overskirt and sleeves are decorated with tiny gold stars.

IMG_1211 - Copy

The picture above shows where I got to at teatime Tuesday – ready for final hand-finishing and trimming. Bob suggested something simple and I found this lovely heart jewel in my bead box, so that went at the waist, and a tiny white bow with a pearl at the neckline.

I found a couple of children’s bracelets in the bead box too, all pink and sparkly, so made a little drawstring bag and popped them in [well, they are too small for me!] I also covered a hanger in some more pink fabric. At the back I put a sash. I’d made the dress on the generous size, so the sash will pull it in for now – and she will be able to go on wearing the dress even when she grows a bit more.

IMG_1214IMG_1212 - Copy

I put four vintage pink sparkly buttons on the back – it is easier than inserting a zip – and I had them already. This took about £10 of fabric – and an afternoon of great fun for me. I am not thinking of setting up in business – if I charged for my time as well, nobody would be able to afford the frocks. But a one-off like this is such a fun project and so satisfying to see completed.

IMG_1211

Unlike the ones from Asda, all raw edges are finished properly and enclosed, and all exposed seams are ‘French’ style. And this one is unique – no other little princess at the Panto will have a dress like it!

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress, with so many great finishing touches & so beautifully executed, that's one lucky little girl. Well done. Have a great day, Vee xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful!!!!! You are so clever and generous making this x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see the little girl's reaction when she sees the dress! She will be beyond thrilled.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have produced such a lovely gift for this little girl. I remember doing something similar with net and a lace petticoat etc for my grandaughter, very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a precious gift x

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's lovely, I'm thinking of finding sewing lessons as I would love to be so creative x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you must be a princess in disguise. What a lovely present for the little girl.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, just beautiful
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, what a lovely thing to do.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!