Tuesday 31 December 2013

Enemies And Friends…

hobbitWe went to see “The Desolation of Smaug” in Norwich last week. I won't spoil it for any who have yet to see it. But I was a bit disappointed. There is a lot in the film which is not in the book, and I thought the spider sequence was a bit much [I would not say I was arachnophobic, but they terrified me. I’m glad I wasn’t watching in 3D]

There also seemed to be a lot of gratuitous decapitation. Some of the costumes were lovely though. Oddest bit? the fact that the enemy of the Hobbit [played by Martin Freeman], the Smaug dragon, is voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch. Next week we shall see the return of Sherlock, where MF is Watson, with his friend Holmes [played by BC]. Quite bizarre!

I suspect I shall enjoy Sherlock more than Smaug.sherlock

10 comments:

  1. Hello! New follower here.

    Can't wait for Sherlock tomorrow. And would love to go see Desolation of Smaug. Heard it gels better than the first.

    There was always going to be too much film for the book, so Peter Jackson put in some Legolas fudge with nutty bits of the Silmarillion... wondering if the bits he hasn't used will be a 25-hour 5-film epic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO excited about the return of "Sherlock"! It's a series that I really enjoyed & I am looking forward to finding out how Sherlock didn't die. I do hope it's not a disappointment (like the Christmas Day Doctor Who episode was!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh.... I don't like the sound of those spiders! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are looking forward to viewing Sherlock, too. Best wishes to you and yours for the coming year.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reviews of people who have seen Sherlock so far are very positive. Here's hoping : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. We decided that the movie was good as long as you aren't expecting to see The Hobbit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had the pleasure of watching the Hobbit movies or the current BBC Sherlock. I am watching the American version of Sherlock though called Elementary and I have watched the series with Jeremy Brett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The current BBC Sherlock is a very clever contemporary interpretation of Conan Doyle's stories. But the Jeremy Brett ones are, in my view, the BEST when it comes to recreating the originals. JB also played Eliza's [Audrey Hepburns] 'beau' in the film of My Fair Lady

      Delete
    2. Ah I didn't know or notice. I suppose he was a lot younger then.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!