Saturday 4 April 2015

Feeling A Little [C]hard Done By

veg boxMy girls are brilliant at finding inexpensive [or free]treats. Liz kindly sent me a voucher to get a free veg box from a well known company, as a treat when we were settling in to our new home.

[nb that’s a picture from the Guardian, not the box we had] I had a fantastic Riverford box from the girls a few years ago, to cheer me up when Bob was away for a few weeks. This one – from a different company - was not a patch on that. I shan’t name them, as I hope this was a one-off bad experience – I know friends back in Kirby who are very pleased with their weekly boxes.

The box contained potatoes, onions, carrots, swede, Swiss chard, lettuce, tomatoes, kiwi fruit, oranges, and a punnet of strawberries.

I decided to make a list of good points and bad points

This ‘introductory box’ came with a lovely recipe book

We priced up the contents- I know these were organic, but I was concerned that these veg would have cost me £27 if I’d been paying for it - but an equivalent box of non-organic veg from Lidl would have cost only about £13.

There was a good mixture of fruit and veg and initially I felt I would be able to use it all

The quality was disappointing- the carrots grew mould after just 2 days, some of the kiwis were really bruised when we unpacked the box and I had to cut away large portions. the swede was very muddy, and once washed, we saw it was full of little worm holes and 50% unusable.

The tomatoes had a good flavour

The strawberries were rather tasteless

As you can see, we were not particularly keen – so cancelled any future boxes. I did leave them feedback, explaining my disappointment at the poor quality. I was a little sad – it was such a kind gesture by Liz. But there was one good thing that came out of the experience – I have learned about the two sorts of chard! I did not know that there is Rainbow Chard and there is Swiss Chard

chard rainbowchard swiss

We were given some RC in Kirby once, and really did not like the taste- but SC is another matter entirely. I found that Jamie has a recipe using SC in his “30 minute meals” book. I had to buy leeks and spinach, but everything else was to hand, and we really enjoyed this leafy green vegetable in his “Mustard Chicken” meal.

We both love fruit and veg –but our carefully managed budget will not run to regular purchases of boxes like this! Do you think veg boxes are worth buying – or are they overpriced and overhyped?

 

18 comments:

  1. I've never bought one - because they are way out of our budget ( £27 is more than a quarter of my monthly grocery spend), because we grow (almost) all of our own fruit and veg and eat seasonally and because I'll bet that my first strawberry of the year, warmed by the sun, picked from the front garden and shared by the two of us will taste nothing like the insipid things that are on sale at this time of year. I avoid produce which has been flown half way around the world and the veg boxes I've seen always seem to contain things which must have done just that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never bought one, but have heard so many people say that they get too much of one thing. I prefer to shop from our farm stalls locally, where I can buy 2 cauliflowers cut from the field for £1.00!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our church runs a green grocer which is staffed mostly by volunteers but managed by a lovely lady. We used to get a weekly veg box delivered by her which was excellent - I trusted her to pick fresh and good value items, and could specify things (like grapes and bananas for lunch boxes). We've stopped the box for now but it was a lovely way to get good value fresh produce as well as supporting the church and the charities the shop was involved in. I also have volunteered in the shop on school holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better to choose & hand pick your own fruit & veg I think, and to get a seasonal selction of good qualtiy items you like and will enjoy. But I do know of people who would otherwise not eat much fresh produce who enjoy their boxes. Overpriced, in my opinion! Sounds like you had a really raw deal (pun intended), I hope the company compensated you in some way, Vee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it cost nothing to start with [to me or to daughter Liz] I could hardly ask for my money back!!

      Delete
  5. Like you, I think that there are vast differences between at least 2 veg box providers.
    I noticed that Aldi (and probably Lidl) do organic veg now, probably have done for some time but, me being me, only noticed a few weeks ago!
    I will be growing Rainbow chard again this year, the hens quite like it too. In the rainbow chard will be mixed in some Swiss chard, which I like to use in stir fries. The 'ribs' of the leaves are tasty steamed, then dipped in melted butter or dipping oils. I won't be having that too often this year, due to the Slimming World healthy living plan - nothing is not allowed though.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the 'dipped ribs' idea. I have to say that when I saw you just before we moved, you were looking REALLY good on your SW diet! Well done, Sandie!

      Delete
  6. We have a weekly box from Riverford as we eat organic food for health reasons. We pick and choose what goes into our box so we have exactly what we want. Yes, organic is more costly than non-organic but Riverford usually costs less than supermarket organic. We eat a lot of beans and lentils (always dried - far cheaper than tinned) to cut costs but this does mean you have to think ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riverford does seem a good box to go for - if you want a veg box.

      Delete
  7. The best 'organic' fruit and veg you can obtain is by growing it yourself. Even a bucket full of potatoes on your patio would be worth growing just for the utter freshness on your plate, smothered in butter of course. Carrots are also very easy to grow in small places if you don't have a garden large enough to set aside some space for a veg plot. I think the concept of fruit and veg boxes are great if you're short on time and are unable to get to the shops for any reason but in the main, rather an expensive way of buying your five-a-day!That's just my opinon and I'm sticking to it!lol Happy Easter to you and Bob, Angela. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No garden projects underway here yet- still unpacking boxes INside the house. But maybe in a little while I will try again...

      Delete
  8. I ADORE swiss chard!!! We used to grow it and I would it eat it with tinned tomatoes and pasta all the time!!!
    To be honest, I find the veg boxes overpriced too. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of these organic fruit and veg boxes and the smug challenge of only cooking with what is seasonally best.

    However, the reality is that I don't cook from scratch daily. When I stoat in from work knackered and starving the challenge of knocking together something that needs peeled, prepared, cooked and served is just too great especially if it is something unusual or that needs advance planning of the accompanying protein and carb. Sometimes it's all I can do not to settle for a bag of crisps!

    My fantasy of being a relaxed Cath Kidston apron wearing 'My Body is a Temple' type meets the reality of knowing all that lovely produce would either get wasted before I could get round to cooking it on a day off or the fainted remains would end up tossed together as 'mongrel soup'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You last paragraph sums it up for so many people I think - CK & co have got very rich by selling this 'fantasy' lifestyle.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, that made me laugh, very familiar in our house too. Mongrel soup!

      Delete
  10. I think I'd rather choose my own and I think I'd spend less. What do you do with chard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following Jamie Oliver's suggestion, I cut out the ribs, and sliced them, then popped them into salted boiling water in bottom of steamer. The rest of the leaves were shredded and cooked in the top of the steamer. Then I combined them, and drizzled a little olive oil over just before serving. Yum!

      Delete
  11. Reading other posts, you are not very far away from me. There's a very good market here (W'borne) on Friday, Saturday and (ahem!) Sundays, which has kept me in good meat, fish and very cheap but good vegetables for over 20 years; I've raised my family on food from the market, and saved a small fortune. I go down after worship, late on Sunday morning, and they'll be selling off the last of the weekend stock very cheaply; I can fill my shopping trolley for a fiver!

    Welcome to Dorset!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!