Sunday 12 April 2015

The Fruit Of The Spirit Is …Peace

peace lily

A dear friend back in Kirby Muxloe sent me a gift token, with strict instructions to buy a Peace Lily for our new home in Dorset. So I did [thanks, M!]

They are such beautiful plants, and it is said that they deal with pollution in the atmosphere- making the home both look, and feel better.

There have been a number of issues, major and minor, in the 11 weeks since we moved to Ferndown which have been unsettling

  • world events – terrorism, plane crashes, natural disasters…
  • events affecting friends – particularly illness and bereavement
  • personal events – all quite trivial in comparison – the hassles of moving house, a damaged wrist, job-hunting-problems, anxieties about wedding arrangements.

But whenever when I remember my peace lily plant, I am reminded of Jesus’ words to his disciples,

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

and Paul’s letter to the believers in Philippi.

Don’t worry over anything whatever; tell God every detail of your needs in earnest and thankful prayer, and the peace of God which transcends human understanding, will keep constant guard over your hearts and minds as they rest in Christ Jesus.

Things start to look better, and I feel better. The difficult issues don’t disappear- but I find I am not so unsettled by them. And that inner peace is truly beyond anything that my brain can comprehend – and my heart is at rest.

Like a river glorious, is God’s perfect peace,
Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
Perfect, yet it floweth, fuller every day,
Perfect, yet it groweth, deeper all the way.

Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.

Every joy or trial falleth from above,
Traced upon our dial by the Sun of Love;
We may trust Him fully all for us to do.
They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true.

2 comments:

  1. You find the peace and the comfort in the bad situations. Well done, I admire you greatly for that. All through Jesus.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ang, yes. The world, domestic and exterior, can be such a fraught place. All these things will pass, The wedding will be glorious!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!