Friday 16 December 2016

Have A Slice Of Hygge!!

Simple Things magazine is still going on about hygge [I thought Mags and PomPom got that all sorted a year or two ago] and recently mentioned something called the Danish Dream Cake.
In 1965, a young girl baked her grandmother’s secret family recipe in a competition and won, and the cake has been a Danish favourite ever since...
I had all the ingredients to hand, so I baked one 
DANISH DREAM CAKE
Serves 10–12 [I cut ours into 16 slices, they were quite big enough]
for the cake:
3 eggs
225g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla sugar [or ½ tsp vanilla extract]
225g plain flour or cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
150ml whole milk
75g butter, melted
for the topping:
100g butter
150g desiccated coconut
250g cups dark brown sugar
75ml whole milk
a pinch of salt
1 Preheat the oven to 190º/Fan 170º, grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin
2 In the bowl of a food mixer, whisk the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla sugar on high speed for a few mins, until white and light. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together.
3 Carefully fold the flour into the egg mixture. Mix the milk with the melted butter in a jug and carefully pour into the batter, folding it in until incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
4 Bake for 35–40 mins or until almost done (try not to open the oven door for the first 20 mins of the total baking time).
5 To make the topping, gently melt all the ingredients in a saucepan together.
6 Remove the cake from the oven and carefully spread the topping all over the cake.
7 Return to the oven. Turn up the heat to 200ºC/Fan 180ºand bake for a further 5 mins. Allow to cool before eating.

8 You can freeze it – slicing it first is a good idea.

I am extremely pleased to announce that it tasted delicious, and mine looked just like the one shown in the ST recipe! I am not sure about the cake's name - I rarely dream of coconut.The sponge was pleasantly moist without being too dense, and the topping had a lovely toffee-ness to it.

7 comments:

  1. Yum! It sounds similar to a coffee cake my mom makes. Thanks for the hygge mention.
    I think I might make one and eat it, too!
    Love, love to you, Ang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, I might try baking this later! I make cakes for very elderly friends of mine, and always like to try something different for them. So will try this for us first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serenata, I feel that I should point out that the topping is sticky coconut so do try it out on the family before you make some for elderly friends. I should hate them to get little bits stuck in their dentures!! But what a kind thing for you to do for them, older folk love home-baked goods. I am posting another, softer, cake Later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly why I wanted to try it for us first :-) Actually after commenting a call I got a call for a request for Lemon Drizzle Cake - so I will make that on Tuesday for the along with the fruit cake I know is well liked as well.

      Delete
  4. It does sound nice, except for coconut....!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound delicious! Must remember to add a packet of desiccated coconut to my list when I go grocery shopping, next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pleasantly surprised that it doesn't have nuts; I somehow expect Danish things always to have nuts! We should make this for our Scandinavia-obsessed friend! I wish I did have hygge all sorted out. Will this week slow down enough at all for hygge? maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!