Thursday 19 April 2018

Bouquet Garni

Do you remember The Herbs - a children's TV programme from 1968? It was written by Michael Bond, the creator of Paddington. As with many TV programmes, some of the script was quite sophisticated - I suppose that encouraged adults to sit alongside the children and watch with them [never a bad thing]
There was Lady Rosemary, Bayleaf the Gardener, Parsley the Lion, Sage the Owl, Dill the daft dog, Sir Basil and Constable Knapweed.
I have never considered myself much of a gardener - but I have realised that I am not too bad at growing herbs [although I never seem to manage to get anywhere with basil or parsley, however hard I try]
I wandered out into the garden after lunch yesterday and realised I had a reasonable crop of eight herbs. Bob said I should also include the wild garlic in my list - we have a patch of rampant ramsons - but they are nothing to do with me, they came of their own accord. They bring my total to nine. Here is my 2018 crop thus far
Clockwise from the top
chives
mint [label hidden!]
wild garlic
rosemary
golden thyme [not to be confused with Golden Time, which is a manic Friday afternoon activity in many Primary Schools]
bay
common thyme
lemon balm
lavender
That's really not too bad, for someone who struggles with cress on a flannel,is it? Some potentially good flavours to fling into my summer recipes. I also have quite a few young nettles, but am unable to convince Bob of the merits of Nettle Soup, so I cannot really count them as a cooking ingredient [yet]
Do you grow your own herbs ?
Which ones, and how do you use them?



7 comments:

  1. Has Bob given the nettle soup a try? I thought it was one experimental recipe too far but a friend made it last year and I'm hoping she'll do it again this year. Do you use the wild garlic and if so, How?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Herbs are essential in a garden, I feel. Tarragon is one of my favourites, and I have pots of many others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried to grow tarragon, E - that's good with chicken isn't it? I make my wild garlicinto pesto [http://angalmond.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=wild+garlic] but I would like a recommendation for a good nettle soup recipe, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The characters you are showing from The Herbs reminds me of a program here in the US -- Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. A whole segment of the program was based on King Friday and his kindom and the puppets look strikingly similar. A great program from children here as I am sure The Herbs was there. Speaking of herbs -- I can't grow anything -- even an ivy indoors! Have nothing of a green thumb although I would love to try basil -- I use a lot of it. Can you grow it indoors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of Mr Rogers. Some people grow basil in pots on their kitchen windowsill. Sadly I cannot get it to flourish indoors or out!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, I'm v impressed!!! Well, I've succeeded with the following which have moved with me in pots: Lavender, Rosemary, Mint, Lime Mint.
    Happily, I have inherited a raised herb bed with the new house and it has Rosemary, Lavender, Chives and Sage. Lemon Balm is my absolute favourite so I would LOVE some of that! I might give marjoram a go this year as I love it with tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's quite a collection of herbs you have growing in your garden! I have rosemary and lavender, lemon grass and curry leaves. I had mint, but it died. The parsley died, too. I am not a very good gardener!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!