Monday 21 May 2018

Forget Me Not

Today marks the start of Dementia Action Week, organised by the Alzheimer's Society [details here] Their logo is a Forget-me-not flower
In recent years, I've met more and more people who suffer with this condition, and their amazing carers. 
Once a month, a group of us take a worship service in a local dementia care home. I am always so moved when we sing an old hymn, or say the Lord's Prayer, to see people who seem quite unaware of their surroundings suddenly start mumbling the words with us. Verses learned by heart so many years ago surface again, and bring comfort and peace of mind for a few moments 
This year the AS theme is "Small Actions, Big Impact" - simple ideas and deeds which can make a huge difference.
Do take a moment to look at the website. 
When we lived in London, I remember meeting a recently bereaved friend and saying "I was sorry to hear you lost your Mum on Friday" She replied "Thank you Angela, but I really lost my Mum a few years ago"
Alzheimer's is a cruel disease affecting the whole family. If there are little things that we can do to help those affected, then we certainly should  Suggestions include
  • Will you talk to people? 
  • Will you make the time to listen? 
  • Will you ask if you can help if someone looks confused? 
  • Will you be there for carers and lived ones too? 
  • Will you ask questions and learn about dementia? 
  • Will you carry on inviting people out? 
  • Will you be patient? 




2 comments:

  1. I, too, felt that I lost my mother before she actually died. I cried the day she asked me who I was, as she had forgotten that I was her daughter. Looking back on that time, I wish I had known more about Alzheimer's and dementia, in general. I regret the fact that I didn't play the piano and sing to her - hearing her favorite songs might have been a good thing for her and she might have even remembered the song and joined in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Grandma, my Dad's Mum, had Alzheimers and really, she developed it when I was quite young, yet got bad as I grew older. She died when I was about 12. It was horrid to see how difficult she was and the detrimental effect on my Grandpa. He loved her so much and was so patient.
    I am a contributor to the Alzheimers society on her behalf, in memory of her.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!