Saturday 11 December 2021

Kitchen Sink Drama

This phrase was coined in the late 1950s/ early 1960s to define films and plays which dealt with 'social realism'. All about working class people, "gritty realism". John Osborne wrote "Look Back In Anger" - and many writers followed [A Taste of Honey, Kes, Cathy Come Home, Alfie, Billy Liar...] 

A number of artists chose to paint 'ordinary' domestic scenes - often showing people in poverty, unemployment in the north of England, etc. John Bratby and John Smith painted many "kitchen sink" pictures; like these two.

I looked all this up because we have a new kitchen sink. Bob [who loathes plumbing with a passion] has replaced the horrid old stained white sink and ugly tap with a shiny new stainless steel double sink & drainer, as part of our kitchen refurb

I've wanted to replace the sink since 2009, there were holes in the wall after the electrics were fixed in June. We are fixing wall and damaged tiles, changing the sink, and fixing the plinths properly. Plus moving one wall cupboard and adding a couple of shelves for cookbooks. And that's it. No need for anything fancy - cupboards and worktops may be old, but they are quite serviceable, and we are happy with them.

My tap only cost £45 from IKEA. While Bob was fitting it, I still had access to 4 other taps [bath, handbasin, Futility Room sink, and in the garden] So I could wash my hands and access fresh drinking water. 40% of the world's population do not have access to a handwashing facility with water and soap at home.

We hadn't realised that we'd get a £10 Christmas bonus in our state pensions and a winter fuel payment. An unexpected blessing. So we are sharing it, by tap-twinning.


This is being facilitated by the Toilet Twinning charity. For just £60 you can provide safe water and promote good hygiene in a community. Handwashing is even more essential during a world pandemic. We chose to send a tap to Malawi - Steph went there with Unicef in 2008.




I'm hoping there are no dramas at my kitchen sink - and I am grateful for the opportunity to help provide another family with the simple facilities for fresh water and washing that I often take for granted.


9 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to twin my toilet for a while. Might see if we can twin our tap too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then you'd be flushed with success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I twinned our toilet when I read about people being bitten on the behind by snakes, and girls and women artist of assault. You can find 'your' toilet on Google maps if you put in the coordinates on the photo...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new sink and tap, and on the financial bonuses. It's lovely that you choose to remember those who don't have our ready access to clean drinking water. There are many of us who, while not rich, are so blessed in our developed world, with so many things not to be taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed- I may not be as rich as the Queen or Bill Gates - but I am much richer than so many in this world

      Delete
  5. What a lovely thing to do and I think I will follow suit. I have chosen to donate to small charities this Christmas, where the money will make a real difference and not just vanish in red tape, one being a local Scout troop raising money for suicide awareness in young men after losing one of their own recently, another that was close to my heart and this will be a completely different and equally deserving thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dropping loose change in a collection pot in the marketplace is ok - but I preferred to make sure my larger gifts have been properly considered. I think that your phrase 'close to my heart' is a good guide when deciding about our giving.

      Delete
  6. How lovely that Bob can do projects like installing a new kitchen sink! It is very kind and generous of you to give to an organization that will provide access to clean water on tap to a community that don't have it.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!