Tuesday 10 May 2022

Peas Please Me

When I was in Norwich last week, I went into the Millennium Library which is situated inside the Forum [next to City Hall] In the space outside where some cheerful people in green teeshirts, publicising a new product and giving away free samples. Not having had elevenses, and it being ages till lunch, I drifted over.

baked pea-powered curls proclaimed the green banner. Looks interesting, I thought.

"Can I ask you a few questions?" asked the young man politely. This seems quite fair to me - if they are giving me a free sample, then I shouldn't begrudge them a couple of minutes help with the market research. I know a bit about this, having a research director in the family!

I was told simpleas are a new product from a local company using [mostly] locally sourced ingredients. First I was asked what I thought the packaging suggested - and i said green/health/fibre-rich/lo-cal protein snack. This evidently ticked the right boxes! Then I was asked my age bracket, occupation etc. And did I have any questions?

Well I did! I asked about the fact that the peas used are yellow when I'd imagined they'd be green. I was told about the nutritional benefits of these golden globes of goodness - gluten free, high protein etc - and the Norwich-based production company [Nova Farina] already makes lots of flour from these legumes, which goes to the food manufacturing industry. npw they are using the peas to make these snacks. East Anglia has always had a good pea-industry, but as the green pea growers decline, there are more yellow-pea farms. The guy suggested I check out the simpleas  website when I got home [link] - so I watched the video  that evening

I asked about the oil used [sunflower] and wondered if the situation in Ukraine had affected production [not as yet]  
I asked about the 'health benefits' of these compared to your average bag of crisps. It appears that simpleas contain <90cals per bag. In fact, in the WHS hospital shops, they are only allowed to include two sorts of 'snack bags' in their meal deals [simpleas  and Walkers oven baked crisps] as these are the only ones which meet CQC health guidelines.
I asked about the four flavours**- are they available as multipacks?. Answer- not yet, but there will soon be larger 'sharing packs' available. **cheese&herb, seasalt&balsamic, lightly salted, smoky paprika
I asked about the price - currently they retail at about £1 a packet.
I sampled the paprika, and the balsamic flavours- both very pleasant. More of a crunch than a crisp texture. Yes, I liked them a lot. I much preferred them to crisps, which I often find too greasy/fatty. My free sample pack was just the right size for me.

Would I buy them in the shops?...I am not sure. £1 a pack, that's a tad pricey for me.[I'm a thrifty pensioner these days]  If I needed something to include in a meal deal I would definitely consider them a good choice. . I might consider a sharing pack to serve in a bowl as "pre-dinner nibbles" for guests though. If they came down a little in price I would be more inclined to buy them perhaps.
But I recognise these are 'premium' foods. We have been hearing in the press recently that many of the 'budget' ranges which the MPs are advocating that people in financial hardship should buy are actually poorer quality food - more fats and sugar, and more water and cheaper ingredients. I accept that it will cost more to make a high protein, good quality, nutritious product. 

But I really do like the fact that simpleas are produced locally, with thought and care. Consideration for local growers, sustainability, and the health of people and the planet...
If you see SIMPLEAS on sale, treat yourself to a pack, and let me know what you think!
Thank you to Chris and your team for spending time answering my questions, and for the free packet. I am definitely planning to order some of your other pea products to use in my baking.

10 comments:

  1. They sound intriguing. I'd try. What is their packaging made out of? I'd be more on board if they had compostable packaging like Two Farmers. The flavours look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the only icon on the pack is the one of a person dropping rubbish in a bin. No recycling symbols (I think it's a plastic packet, sorry!)

      Delete
  2. I have used pea flour from Hodmedods. It’s good but you have to use it straight away when fresh. Now I buy the yellow peas to soak and use in stews and made into dips and spreads. Pam from Bournemouth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I'd heard of Hodmedods, but not looked at their website until now.

      Delete
  3. These sound great. The nearest similar snack that I have encountered is made out of chickpea flour and was spicy. I bought them in Ottawa and haven't found them in our local store yet, but one day I did find packets of tiny chickpea flour nibbles and only realized halfway through that there was a wee packet of spices to add and shake up (like the salt packages in my Smith's Crisps days growing up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always so exciting when the Smiths packet contained TWO little blue salt sachets!

      Delete
  4. That's interesting. I have to be gluten free and I often see pea flour as part of the ingredients. I know that the UK grows around 90% of the world's pea crop, but I'm not sure if that's just green peas. Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peas are a really good crop, for healthy people AND healthy soil... Therefore a healthier planet!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a healthier alternative to potato chips! I do like my potato chips, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is where USA /UK English language duffers - over here our potato chips = your fries. And your potato chips are our crisps! All are delicious but fattening!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!