Thursday 20 April 2023

Three Blinds, Nice!

The middle of April is full of significant anniversaries for me - my birthday, my baptism [1969] getting the keys to Cornerstones [2009] finishing the mortgage early [2018] and retirement [2021] It is amazing to think this place has been ours for 14 years. 
One day I will write down the whole story. When we bought it, the property had been repossessed, and was in the hands of agents. The previous owners had put on an extension, and the building work was complete, but not the finer details.This is a bungalow on a corner plot. Every window had cheap blinds. These have gradually disintegrated, mechanisms have failed, and their plastic parts have gone brittle, so we have replaced most of them as funds allow.
Ten years ago I cut off the faded section of the orange bathroom blind - but still didn't really like it. Last year we redecorated the kitchen and I got my smart blue blackout blind, and the back bedroom got a grey blackout blind [useful to make the room dark when grandchildren are sleeping in there] This month I have put all my John Lewis gift vouchers together and purchased three blinds. These are again from John Lewis, but they are daylight blinds. 
One has gone in the bathroom - and it is so much more pleasant in there now. We have privacy, but we also have light. The two for our bedroom hang side by side in the big front window - again allowing us to have privacy, but also light during the daytime [the curtains in there are JL lined blackout ones, so we can have darkness when we want]
My bathroom plants are happy too! I can really recommend JL blinds. They are very good quality fabric, with efficient mechanisms and neat fittings. 

Their "everyday" range comes in with very competitive prices. Our only complaint ? The fitting instruction sheet is utterly incomprehensible to both of us [and we consider ourselves flatpack ninjas, when it comes to self-assembly products] 
Home ownership is both a blessing and a responsibility. We are conscious that money should be spent wisely, and try to make necessary replacements with the 'buy it well, and buy it once' principle where we can. Unlike most people, we have had the opportunity to spent twelve years preparing to move in!
I just wish I could think of a reasonable way to recycle vertical blinds - I hate sending stuff to landfill. Any suggestions?





8 comments:

  1. That's a very nice bathroom blind. I've no ideas to offer on what to do with the old ones. No one here will take donated blinds, old or new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little frustrating, I shall think of something!

      Delete
  2. Always a concern to find ways to avoid sending things to the landfill. Sometimes it gets wearying! I don't like to waste anything that might have an alternative use. I was just about to throw away the buffer for my MQ nail cream (it works better if I just rub each nail against the side of my hand and generate heat). The buffer has two tiny cloths which don't seem to fit now, and a metal oval to clamp one in place. Could it be used for sandpaper I wonder? Must ask DH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think after all this time you can throw it away!

      Delete
  3. Nice new blinds!
    As for the old vertical ones, perhaps a school or playhouse to be used as backdrops for stage productions? Could they be laid out and secured as a small roof for an outdoor play or pet area??

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vertical ones are made of lots of 5" strips of fabric, so not usable as backdrops or a roof

      Delete
  4. 'Buy it well and buy it once'
    We say, ' Cry once or cry twice'
    One may cry when buying the better item, but it saves money (and tears) in the long run if you need to replace sooner than anticipated. Even more if outside labour needs to be involved. ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skye, I'd not heard that expression before

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!