Thursday 27 June 2024

Housework v. Mousework

 Housework has been a little neglected this week. I have a Big Project on hand. When I visited
When I visited the Town Museum back in May, to look at my Sew Peaceful piece, I met Katie, a leading light in the Heritage Society. I showed her a picture of the Egyptian Puppets.
It was Katie who emailed me a fortnight ago to ask if I could make felt mice. I went in to see her and took my two little prototypes. She has this idea for a "Mouse trail" round the Museum. Properly called Bishop Bonner's Cottage Museum [or BBCM for short] she thought a little felt mouse - which she thought could be called Bonnie [clever wordplay] could be placed in the different rooms for smaller children to spot.
We walked round BBCM together, and in the end, concluded it would be better to have Bonnie and her five friends. So I'm making 6 mice before the end of term. Each will have an appropriaye historical costume for its surroundings. Making mice first, then clothing [in case we change our ideas] I've used some felt I had already, and the two squares I purchased in Leicester. Already I can see why a higher wool content makes for a better finished product.
Here's my little basket of mouse bodies and limbs waiting to be sewn together. I'm house-sitting for someone this morning, and will be sewing them together. But they will be headless for a few days - I am not finishing the heads till the beady, black sew-in eyes arrive.
The fishing line works well for whiskers. I used black beads for the first two prototypes, but now I am getting the proper eyes as recommended by Sue Quinn.
Bob said he wasn't too sure about the disembodied limbs on the coffee table [but he as was watching CSI at the time which can be very gory, I don't think he was too serious]
And as I don't like sport, and I am fed up with the election, I can sit and sew peacefully and listen to the radio. Mousework beats housework any day! 

26 comments:

  1. Was there ever any competition between mousework and housework? In this house it would be a foregone conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the queen of wordplay!
    Well, I was busy with Spousework rather than housework, these past two weeks, helping out and supporting CBC in various ways.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the mice in their less gory form!๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love the word "spousework" ๐Ÿ’—although (like mousework) ๐ŸญI have usually found it a joy and privilege. Not a chore (like housework) ๐Ÿ 

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful project! I think mousework sounds like more fun than housework!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it truly is!๐Ÿญ❤️๐Ÿญ

      Delete
  4. I think "mouse work" would beat housework any day. I bet they will look enchanting when finished. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures of "whole" mice will follow in due course ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿญ

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. A chorus from all the little mice in the children’s programme Bagpuss has just entered my mind since reading the “Hurray for mousework” comment.

      Delete
    2. Ah! Bagpuss and the delightful little mice...

      Delete
  6. Crafting always beats housework in this house. Love the idea of the little mice and I agree with you about the higher wool content of felt. Keep stitching! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to seeing the mice in their costumes. You are very skilful Ang, working with such tiny pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing undecapitated mice soon. Mice need their heads and limbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another wonderful project to keep your fingers and imagination busy. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing during the day is hot and tiring though...

      Delete
  10. Such patient work. Looking forward to seeing the end product.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I am certainly in need of more patience.

      Delete
  11. I might have known that there were mice projects in the offing when you first got interested in making mice. I love the idea of having a mouse in each room of the museum for the little ones to look for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interest in mouse-making started on holiday in Paris - the week BEFORE Katie contacted me about her project

      Delete
  12. Exactly - mouse work is still better than housework :-))) I also do some doctor-prescribed gymnastics and it really helps if you stick with it...
    So sewing is still better than housework or going to the gym - but you are very satisfied when everything is done... and then an ice cream in this wonderful summer weather!
    And I'm really looking forward to your mice - it's a great project. I wish you much joy.
    Hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!