Saturday 29 June 2024

Spousework

Thank you Kezzie for this new word. Today I will not be doing housework, or mousework, because I shall be busy supporting Bob. Spousework - activities in support of one's best beloved. It is the day of the annual Swanton Morley Duck Race. A well attended event designed to raise funds for the 'Friends of the Parish Church'. About 1000 ducks have been 'sold' at a cost of £1 each - they will all be tipped in the river, and the first 3 to arrive at the end of the route [a local farm] will win prizes. A fete will be held on the field, and Bob is running a Shed Project stand. As well as promoting the shed programme, there will also be a craft activity for the children. [making wooden boats] So yours truly will be there...

So no Mousework today, but thank you SueJay for reminding me of the mice in Bagpuss. This animated children's TV programme was made by the "Smallfilms" company, run by Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin. It was filmed in a barn not 10 miles from Bob's childhood home in Kent. As well as the saggy old, baggy old cat Bagpuss, and his friend Emily, the cast also included six squeaky mice. They always sang their songs to the old English folk tune "Sumer is icumen in"

You probably know the adjectives bovine [to do with cattle] πŸ„and equine [relating to horses]🐎 - but did you know the words anatine [of ducks]πŸ¦† and murine [about mice]🐁?


18 comments:

  1. I've not heard the words, "spousework", "anatine", and "murine". Interesting! Have fun at the duck race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glorious sunshine, lots of people came

      Delete
  2. Hope you have a lovely and productive day. I have heard of murine but not anatine. Thank you another new word to add to my crossword arsenal. We are off to open gardens for the local hospice, I have made 40 scones for the cream tea afterwards. The weather is perfect today here in East Sussex for such an event, I hope it is the same for you in Norfolk. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope your hospice event went well. I'd have enjoyed a scone. Sadly the food truck ran out just before I got to the front of the queue!

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed you have a dry day for the ducks! Great that Bob is having a stall for The Men’s Shed-Norrie and I do lots of spousework as you will have guessed! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shed stand went brilliantly. Lots of children made wooden boats, lots of blokes were interested - and I had great conversations with their wives.

      Delete
  4. So glad to read that you had good weather and the event was a success. Sorry you didn't get a scone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob cooked a splendid meal when we got home, which made up for any lack of food at the event!

      Delete
  5. I hope it was a pleasant day, fine but not too hot.
    I loved the mice singing. It took me back over 55 years, when I was in a village group singing madrigals and "Sumer is icumen in" was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duck race? Such a cute idea. I'd love to see that. Wondering how many wander off for a bug before they make it to the finish line? Or, do people go along the water to make sure they stay in the river?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little plastic ducks are followed by two guys in kayaks, who dislodge any which get stuck in the reeds. Once they're all over the finish line, they are scooped up and put in four large crates. They spend the whole year in a local garage... Apart from rom this one special race day!

      Delete
  7. The race sounds so fun and so rural British! I'm very glad such things still happen!
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quintessentially English village life! [apart from sales of large turquoise plastic dragon light fittings produce don 3D printer]

      Delete
  8. P.S. hadn't heard those terms but I do know feline, canine, lupine, avian and ursine. Kx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!